As a nationally ranked research university with a liberal arts tradition, SMU is ready to support you as you pursue your passion. If you’re an ambitious, creative thinker, SMU is for you. Our students don’t rest on being bright and accomplished. They work hard, question what they don’t know, and lead by thinking about how they can do a world of good. And our faculty are their greatest champions – in and out of the classroom.
SMU is home to five nationally recognized undergraduate schools and colleges. | Cox School of Business, Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Lyle School of Engineering, Meadows School of the Arts, and Simmons School of Education and Human Development.
SMU is within the Top 20% of the 'Best National Universities' according to the 2020 edition of the U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges.
#2 for careers | Dallas ranks among the best places for business and careers in Forbes, 2019.
Students can choose from a selection of 100+ majors and 85 minors.
Students are encouraged to double and even triple major. One in five SMU undergraduate students pursues two or more majors.
Connect with faculty, staff, and other students through our small class sizes. The average class size has an 11:1 student to faculty ratio.
84% of full-time faculty hold a doctorate or the highest degree in their fields.
Take advantage of all the great places and support networks on campus for you.
Study within the new Common Curriculum general education framework, which prepares you for the future by providing educational foundations, resources to grow, and opportunities to thrive in any environment.
Connecting students' personal passions to creative academic projects that move learning beyond the classroom.
- Turn your great ideas into reality.
- Take action on some of the world's most pressing challenges.
SMU Entrepreneurship Club
Connecting entrepreneurial students across campus regardless of their major or school.
- Find help transforming your innovative idea into a sustainable enterprise.
- Get support for your student startup.
Hegi Family Career Development Center
Linking students with top employers and companies.
- Craft an effective résumé, network effectively and connect with potential employers.
- Ace your interview and land an internship or job.
Dedman College Interdisciplinary Institute
Opening minds to ideas from a variety of disciplines.
- Talk with scholars who have diverse interests.
- Strengthen your critical thinking skills to tackle complex problems.
Offering academic journeys enhanced by the cultural resources.
- Study Abroad offers 150+ programs in more than 50 countries. May, Summer, and January Term options are available.
- Study in Taos, New Mexico - a location nestled in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and surrounded by stunning videos of the Carson National Forest. SMU-in-Taos offers courses during the January and Summer Terms are available.
Deason Innovation Gym
Inspiring creative confidence in a campus community of makers.
- Build your design skills by working on real-world challenges.
- Engage in purpose-driven learning through interdisciplinary teamwork.
Gerald J. Ford Hall for Research and Innovation
Access new resources including the Gerald J. Ford Hall for Research and Innovation, which is SMU’s new interdisciplinary research hub. It will equip faculty, students, and industry partners with the tools and resources to collaborate, solve complex problems, and power new enterprises.
Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies
Graduate students will soon receive all of the benefits of the Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies including graduate fellowships, dissertation fellowships, a research incubator, academic initiatives, and the ability to use the new facility - Moody Hall.