Mustang Scholars and Mustang Promise Scholars
Achieve Your Dream at SMU!
An education at a nationally recognized, private university is more affordable than you think. The Mustang Scholars program places an SMU education within your reach by combining with other awards to guarantee that SMU tuition and fees are met. There are two scholarships that serve as last-dollar aid to ensure Mustang Scholars receive full tuition and fees to attend SMU.
Dallas County Mustang Scholarship First-Year Enrollment
The Dallas County Mustang Scholarship awards up to ten (10) four-year scholarships available exclusively to students who meet the criteria below and will graduate from a high school located in Dallas County (Texas). This scholarship is for applicants entering SMU as first-year students.
Dallas County Mustang Promise Scholarship Transfer Enrollment
The Dallas County Mustang Promise Scholarship awardsup to five (5) two-year scholarships available exclusively to high school seniors who meet the requirements below, have fulfilled the requirements for the Dallas County Promise Program, and plan to earn an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from DCCCD prior to attending SMU.
Selected students may receive only one of the above mentioned Mustang Scholarships. These awards are “last-dollar” scholarships such that they are combined with all other grants and scholarships to total tuition and fees.
- Graduation from a public, private or charter high school located in Dallas County (Texas)
- Texas residency
- Verified Pell Grant eligibility as defined by the FAFSA or the equivalent demonstrated need as defined by the TASFA
- Additional eligibility requirements for the Mustang Promise Scholarship
- Priority given to students with a cumulative “A” average (3.500 GPA) in grades 9-12
How to Apply:
- Submit an application for admission to SMU by January 15. The supporting materials should also be submitted by January 15. The $60 application fee will be waived upon submission of the Mustang Scholar essay.
- Submit a Mustang Scholar essay of 500 words or less by January 15 using the online form.
The Mustang Scholar essay topic: Discuss how the following quote applied to your academic career in high school and how it will apply to your time at SMU: “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.”- General Colin Powell
- Submit your FAFSA or TASFA and the CSS Profile™by January 15. Talk to your high school counselor about a CSS Profile™fee waiver.
- Selected candidates will be invited to interview with the selection committee in mid-March.