We Invest in The Best and The Brightest
Transfer Merit Scholarships are automatically awarded to students who have completed 50 transferable hours with a minimum 3.50 GPA. (24 of the 50 hours must be completed post-high school graduation.)
- Transfer Merit Scholarships are limited to students seeking their first undergraduate degree.
- Transfer scholarships are renewable for up to five terms as a full-time student with a 3.0 SMU cumulative GPA.
- Transfer students who have 30 or fewer hours may be considered for some first-year academic-based scholarships based on high school academic performance.
North Texas Community College Scholarship
This scholarship awards 10 full-tuition scholarships for up to five terms to students transferring from Collin, Dallas, Grayson, Trinity Valley, Navarro and Tarrant County community college districts and completing their admission application by May 1 (fall-term entrants only). This scholarship is renewable if full-time enrollment and a 3.0 GPA are maintained.
- Complete at least 50 transferable credit hours with a minimum 3.70 transferable GPA.
- Submit an essay. This is a personal statement. We want to get to know you and understand your goals and ambitions.
- Submit 2-3 letters of recommendation.
- Submit an extracurricular résumé.
You can submit all of your materials within your personalized status page 24-48 hours after submitting your application. You will receive an email with the login instructions.All application materials, including transcripts, must be received by May 1.
Selection is based on the student’s academic profile, demonstrated leadership, community involvement and unique life experiences. Candidates are selected and interviewed individually by the University Committee.
Timeline for North Texas Community College Scholarship Selection
- Application Deadline, including essay, letters of recommendation, extra-curricular/personal resume
- Final Spring College Transcript Due
- Committee reads files and selects interviewees
- Interviewees notified by phone of interview date and time
- Interviews held
- Recipient selection by interview committee. Winners and non-winners notified by phone.
Honor Transfer Scholarships
Students with at least 50 transferable credit hours and a minimum 3.70 GPA who are transferring from two- or four-year institutions in the fall or spring term are eligible for half-tuition for up to five terms. The scholarship is renewable if full-time enrollment and 3.00 GPA are maintained. All students who meet the requirements and have been accepted to the University will automatically be considered for the scholarship.
- Complete at least 50 transferable credit hours
- Minimum 3.70 transferable GPA
Transfer Merit Scholarships
Students with a 3.5 transferable GPA and at least 50 transferable credit hours transferring from a 2-or 4- year college are eligible for $1,500 per term for up to five terms. Fall- and spring-term entrants are eligible, and the scholarship is renewable if full-time enrollment and 3.0 GPA are maintained. All students who meet requirements and have been accepted to the University will automatically be considered for the scholarship.
- Complete at least 50 transferable credit hours
- Minimum 3.50 transferable GPA
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Supplemental Scholarship
The PTK scholarship is the only scholarship that requires the submission of the PTK Honor Scholarship application form with an advisor's signature. The application for admission serves as the scholarship application for all other scholarships.
The Phi Theta Kappa honor society awards $2,000 per year to its members transferring to SMU to be used as a supplemental scholarship to the Honor Transfer Scholarship (half-tuition) or the Transfer Merit Scholarship ($3,000). Twenty awards are granted in fall and ten awards are granted in spring. The PTK scholarship is renewable for up to five terms if full-time enrollment and a 3.00 GPA are maintained.
Must be active member of Phi Theta Kappa for at least one year at your current two-year college.
- Must have completed at least 50 transferable credit hours with a minimum 3.50 cumulative transferable GPA.
- Additionally students must be aU.S. citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Two letters of academic recommendation, which can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit the PTK Honor Scholarship application form. (You will need to know the name and email address of your PTK advisor to complete the application form.)
Candidates are selected based on PTK membership, demonstrated leadership, community service and submitted materials including essay, letters of recommendation and application information.
Deadline is May 1 for fall entry or November 1 for spring entry.
Erin Tierney Kramp (ETK) Scholarship
Annually two recipients of the Dallas College Erin Tierney Kramp Encouragement Endowed Scholarship are chosen to continue their college education at SMU. This scholarship will cover the cost of tuition and fees for five semesters. Students must indicate that they are ETK recipients within their application. If more than two recipients apply, a faculty panel will interview the candidates.
Complete at least 50 transferable credit hours
Minimum 3.50 transferable GPA
Deadline is April 1 for fall entry.