Applicants who graduate from a high school abroad that does not have an English-based curriculum (not bilingual) are required to submit English proficiency scores. This ensures the best chance to fully benefit from the University’s academic and social opportunities.
SMU’s approved exams and recommended minimum subscores:
- TOEFL: 90 with minimum subscores:
- Reading and listening: 20+ in each section
- Writing and speaking: 24+ in each section
- ACT: recommended score of 6.5 with minimum subscores:
- Reading and listening: 6.5
- Writing and speaking: 6.5
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 115
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 60
English proficiency scores are not required for students:
- Who attended a high school with an English-based curriculum
- Have an SAT critical reading and writing score of 580+
- Have an ACT writing score of 25+
Conditional offers of admission
Students who are academically admissible but do not submit an English proficiency exam, or have below the recommended minimum subscores, may receive conditional offers of admission. These conditional offers may require retaking an exam and submitting new results or successfully completing SMU’s Intensive English Program (IEP).