Step 1: Review the Transfer Student Application Eligibility and Requirements Page.
Step 2: Decide which application method is right for you, then complete and submit your application.
- SMU Online Application
- The Common Application
- The MyCoalition Application
- Transfer Update Form (For students who have previously applied to SMU within the last two years but did not enroll or withdrew enrollment before the 12th day of classes.)
Step 3: Review and complete the application checklist.
- Complete your application on time - check the application deadlines
- Pay $60 nonrefundable application fee*
- Submit official college transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- Applicants who have completed international coursework must also submit a professional evaluation that shows the US equivalence for each educational credential and the credit and grade equivalents for university-level courses. This is often called a Course-by-Course evaluation.
- Submit an official high school transcript that includes a graduation date. If the transcript is not in English, it will need to be translated.
- Submit Official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (DET) results
- InitialView interview* (highly encouraged if English is not the applicant's first language, but not required)
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores (optional)
- Review audition and portfolio requirements (students applying for Dance, Music, Theatre, Art, or Film)
Step 4: Submit your application materials.
Please submit your application online. Supporting documents can be sent via email to email@example.com. We recommend that transcripts be sent electronically to SMU. If your school does not send electronic transcripts, they can be mailed to the following address:
SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission
PO Box 750181
Dallas, TX 75275
Physical Address (for FedEx, UPS, and DHL shipments):
Laura Lee Blanton Building
6185 Airline Road
Dallas, TX 75205
Please be sure that you indicate your first, middle and last name as well as your date of birth when you email or mail application materials. If you physically mail your documents, we recommend that you keep a copy of all application forms for your records.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better. If you have questions, please contact the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission where any of our transfer admission counselors are ready to help.
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time
Step 5: Track Your Status
Track the completion of your application in your personalized Status Page. You will receive an email with your login information within 48-72 hours after you submit your application.
* You may pay online through the SMU Online Application, the Common Application, the Coalition for College Application, or the Apply Texas Application. If you are going to pay by check, make the check payable to SMU and mail to the mailing address above.