Step 1: Decide which application method is right for you.
- SMU Online Application
- The Common Application
- The MyCoalition Application
- Transfer Update Form (For students who have previously applied to SMU within the last two years but did not enroll or withdrew before the 12th day of classes.)
Step 2: Review and complete the application checklist.
- Complete your application on time - check the application deadlines
- Pay $60 nonrefundable application fee* (If you are Pell Eligible or a veteran, you can request an application fee waiver. Contact your Transfer Admission Counselor.)
- Submit official college transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities, including dual credit and international coursework
a. Applicants who have completed international coursework must also submit a professional evaluation that shows the U.S. equivalence for each educational credential and the credit and grade equivalents for university-level courses. When selecting the type of evaluation, chose a Course-by-Course evaluation.
- Submit an official high school transcript that includes a graduation date or GED
- (Optional) Submit official SAT or ACT scores (only if you transfer with less than 24 credit hours). SMU won't require standardized test scores for 2023 undergraduate applicants. We want to ease your mind about applying to SMU.
- (Optional) Submit extracurricular resume, personal essay, and letters of recommendation as part of your application or to firstname.lastname@example.org (optional but encouraged for scholarship consideration).
- Review International Transfer Application Process for students transferring from international schools.
- Review audition and portfolio requirements (students applying for Dance, Music, Theatre, Art, or Film)
Step 3: Submit your application materials.
Please submit your application online. Supporting documents such as your essay, recommendation letters, or resume can be sent via email to email@example.com. We recommend that transcripts be sent electronically to SMU. If your school does not send electronic transcripts, they can be mailed to the following address:
SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission
P.O. Box 750181
Dallas, TX 75275
Physical Address (for FedEx, UPS, and DHL shipments):
Laura Lee Blanton Building
6185 Airline Road
Dallas, TX 75205
Please be sure that you indicate your first, middle, and last name as well as your date of birth when you email or mail application materials. If you physically mail your documents, we recommend keeping a copy of all application forms for your records.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better. If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission, where any of our transfer admission counselors are ready to help.
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time
Step 4: Track Your Status
Track the completion of your application in your personalized Status Page. You will receive an email with your login information within 48-72 hours after you submit your application.
* You may pay online through the SMU Online Application, the Common Application, the Coalition for College Application, or the Apply Texas Application. If you are going to pay by check, make the check payable to SMU and mail to the mailing address above.