* SMU defines an International Student as any student who graduates high school abroad.
Step 1: Decide which application deadline is right for you
- Early Action (non-binding)
- Early Decision I (binding)
- Regular Decision (non-binding)
- Early Decision II (binding)
For more information on the differences between each deadline, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please note: All applicants who apply by January 15 are automatically considered for academic-based scholarships with their application for admission.
Step 2: Decide which application method is right for you
Please note: The following applications are for first year students only. Transfer students, please click here.
Step 3: Review the application checklist
- Completed application
- Completed Early Decision Agreement Form (if applying Early Decision)
- $60 nonrefundable application fee
- Official high school transcript
- SMU Financial Statement form (for non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents). This form will be available in the applicant's admission portal once their application has been submitted.
- Official TOEFL scores
- Official SAT/ACT scores (SAT/ACT optional for any student who graduates high school abroad.)
- InitialView interview* (highly encouraged if English is not the applicant's first language, but not required)
- Copy of Passport
- Counselor recommendation (PDF)
- Teacher recommendation (optional) (PDF)
- ZeeMee** (optional)
- Extracurricular resume
- Home School Supplement (if applicable) (PDF)
- Review audition and portfolio requirements (students applying for Dance, Music, Theatre, Art, or Film)
*All students at SMU will be expected from day one to have the language skills necessary for successful participation in our community. In light of such, we recommend that international applicants participate in an interview conducted by InitialView as part of their application. InitialView will conduct and record an interview with you and provide it and a writing sample to us for our review.
InitialView does not rate or grade the interview/writing sample. Evaluation is done by our admission office.
You may sign up for your interview/writing sample at www.initialview.com.
**SMU is excited to partner with ZeeMee, a free service that helps students bring their applications to life. We are committed to reviewing every applicant as a unique individual. Simply copy and paste your link into the SMU application. Sign up today at ZeeMee.com.
Step 4: Submit application materials
Please mail all application materials to:
SMU Undergraduate Admission
6185 Airline Road Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75205
You are welcome to send materials separately; however, please be sure all materials clearly indicate your first, middle and last name, and your date of birth. We recommend that you make and keep a copy of all application forms for your records.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better. If you have questions, please contact the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission, where any of our Admission Counselors are ready to help.
Office Hours: 8:30 – 5:00 p.m. Central Time