Apply Today! The Spring 2021 Application Deadline is December 1
Transfer Application Eligibility and Requirements
The Transfer Admission Committee determines if students are admissible based on their demonstrated academic performance in college-level courses.Every application will be individually reviewed. In most cases, greater emphasis will be placed on academic work completed in recent semesters than on work completed in the more distant past.
- Students must have a high school diploma, the state equivalent of a high school diploma, or a GED to be considered for application review at SMU.
- Transfer applicants must have completed coursework at an accredited degree-granting institution; SMU will not consider vocational or technical coursework.
- Students who are dual-enrolled in both high school and college programs should apply as a first-year student.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher on transferable academic coursework is required for admission.
- It is recommended that transfer applicants have at least 24 transferable credit hours.
- For applicants with less than 24 credit hours in addition to evaluating your college course work and transferable GPA, the Admission Committee will also review the high school curriculum, high school GPA, and standardized test scores. Your official test scores will need to be submitted directly from the College Board or the ACT unless they are reported on your official high school transcript.
- Applicants must complete a college-level math course or a high school sequence of Algebra I, Algebra II, and Plane Geometry within the last three years to be considered "math ready" for transfer admission.
- International students who are from non-English speaking countries transferring to SMU, must demonstrate English Language Proficiency by one of the following methods:
- Completion of two college-level English courses with a B-grade or better in an accredited college or university in the U.S. or in an English speaking country
- Achieve a Qualifying Score on an English Language Proficiency Test
- SMU recommends a minimum Duolingo English Test (DET) score of 115, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT score of 90 with specific minimum sub-score requirements, or an English Language Testing System (IELTS) test of 6.5 or higher. SMU's TOEFL and IELTS School Code is 6660.
- Applicants who have completed international coursework must submit a copy of their transcript and a professional evaluationthat shows the U.S. equivalence for each educational credential and the credit and grade equivalents for university-level courses. This is often called a Course-by-Course evaluation.
- Applicants must be in good academic and disciplinary standing and be eligible to return to all previous institutions.
SMU offers tools to help you determine how credits will transfer and assist with course selection at your current institution to meet SMU core and major requirements. Learn how your credits will transfer to SMU here. While transfer students are eligible to apply with more than two years of coursework from a previous institution, at least 60 credits must be completed at SMU to attain a bachelor's degree from the university.
Transfer students can apply for Academic Forgiveness if they have demonstrated better than average academic performance in recent college coursework. Students electing to use Academic Forgiveness may request the forfeiture of all credits prior to ten years from the date of their currently requested admission to SMU.In order to be considered, students must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges with the Academic Forgiveness form.
For your next steps to apply to SMU, click on one of the links below: