Begin in Big D
SMU and Dallas create a global gateway to limitless opportunities to make your mark in the world. Our vibrant campus community embodies the cosmopolitan city’s unbridled optimism and can-do spirit. With Dallas as our classroom, SMU prepares students from all backgrounds to change the world.
- Dallas ranked #2 among the best places nationally for business and careers Forbes 2019
- SMU is among the Top 20% of national universities ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- 200+ companies from 34 countries have their U.S. headquarters or substantial operations in the Dallas region
Bridge to Big Opportunities
SMU’s welcoming campus is located near the heart of one of the United States’ economic and cultural powerhouses.
SMU alumna Jennifer Pérez ’19 grew up in Tela, Honduras, and dreamed of attending college in the United States. While earning a BBA in accounting from SMU Cox School of Business, Pérez found a community of friends and received valuable career advice. Now she works as an audit associate at KPMG US, a top-four global accounting firm.
- DFW is among the Top 3% of the World’s 500 Best Cities in the Innovation Cities Index 2019 by global data analysis firm 2thinknow
- SMU is 1 of only 300 schools nationwide that are worth the investment, according to Forbes’ 2019 Best Value Colleges ranking
- Every year 1,000+ Dallas-area businesses offer SMU students 4,400+ internships
- 61,000+ SMU alumni in DFW
- 136,000+ SMU alumni worldwide
Big ideas, bold results
SMU’s faculty and students join forces as co-creators of knowledge that spans the arts, the sciences, engineering, business and the humanities. Our innovation culture empowers bold thinkers to transform their big ideas into new products, inventive technology and world-changing solutions. Even in their first year, SMU students work alongside faculty researchers and collaborators to find solutions to complex problems.
Creative students prepare for careers in the visual and performing arts and communications in the school leading the way in arts entrepreneurship and innovative community engagement programs.
More than 80% of Meadows students pursue a double major.
Through innovative programs and hands-on experiences, students in this school learn to make a difference in the world through engineering.
The 4+1 accelerated master’s program allows students to finish a master’s degree in one year upon completion of a bachelor’s degree in engineering.
The internationally recognized school provides a direct connection to businesses in Dallas and around the world and equips students with the knowledge and networks they need to become business leaders.
94% of Cox School graduates were off the job market within 3 months of graduation with an average starting salary of $66K.
Iconic Dallas Hall, SMU’s first building, houses the largest academic unit encompassing the humanities, social sciences, and natural and mathematical sciences.
Top 5% of highest-paid graduates for SMU alumni across a range of fields.
Professionals across many fields of education, counseling, dispute resolution, applied physiology and wellness focus on creating and disseminating evidence-based knowledge in this multifaceted school.
98% of the Simmons School’s Applied Physiology and Sport Management grads enter jobs or graduate school.
Launch your career
Multiple career services centers connect students with top employers for internships or jobs.
multiply your connections
SMU’s Office of Social Change and Intercultural Engagement supports student cultural and service organizations.
thrive in a global destination
Experience comforting cultural touchpoints at restaurants, festivals, markets and places of worship that celebrate the region’s cultural melting pot.
Feel at home in a vibrant community
- Lifelong friendships in any of our 11 Residential Commons – an instant community on campus with leadership opportunities and Faculty in Residence
- Easy-to-access safety, tutoring, career services, wellness and mental health resources
- Whether you have a cold you want to get checked out or need to talk to someone about something on your mind, we have professionals at the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center to care for you.
Create your own SMU Experience
- 200 student organizations, 100+ years of spirit and traditions
- 18 intramural or club sports, 17 Division I sports
- Funding opportunities to start a company to solve a real-world problem through our Big iDeas program
- The SMU Incubator, a dedicated space on campus where enterprising students and faculty meet and work on projects
- Research opportunities as early as your first semester
- Engaged Learning projects, cultural immersions through 150+ SMU Abroad programs and global opportunities through virtual internships abroad
- Credit courses through intersessions at SMU-in-Taos, our campus in New Mexico
Hundreds of SMU undergraduates pursue two or more majors. We have you covered with more than 100 undergraduate majors and 85 minors across five nationally recognized undergraduate schools.
Apply to SMU today
Our holistic review of your SMU application weighs several factors, including rigor of high school curriculum, GPA, standardized test scores (optional), English proficiency, essay, resume and letters of recommendation.
- Application for admission
- Personal essay
- Official high school transcript
- SAT or ACT scores (optional)
- Official English Proficiency Scores
- Counselor recommendation (required)
- $60 nonrefundable application fee
- Extracurricular resume (optional)
- Teacher recommendation (optional)
- Early Action (nonbinding)
- Early Decision (binding)
- Scholarship consideration
- Regular Decision (nonbinding)
- Early Decision II (binding)
- Scholarship consideration
We’re available for you