Using someone’s correct personal pronouns is a way to respect them and create an inclusive environment. Many of our technology systems allow you to state these pronouns within your profile making it easier for others to know how to address you properly.
For more information on pronouns and why they matter, visit pronouns.org.
Below are instructions for how to add your personal pronouns to popular services managed by OIT, if supported.
- Login to Canvas at smu.edu/canvas
- Click on your account image in the left navigation menu
- Select Settings
- Click Edit Settings
- Select your desired pronouns
- Click Update Settings
When viewing the People page within each Canvas course, the pronouns will appear next to your name.
The best way to designate your pronouns within email is to include them in your signature file.
- Login to office.smu.edu
- Select the gear icon on the top right
- Select View all Outlook settings
- Select Mail—Compose and reply
- Check the box next to Automatically include my signature on new messages I compose
- Enter your signature information along with your pronouns
- Click Save
Please Note: At this time, the products within the Microsoft 365 suite, such as Teams, does not offer the ability to edit your profile and include your desired pronouns. We are monitoring their development roadmap for when these features might be available.
LinkedIn Learning's profile is managed by LinkedIn. You can add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile via the web or the app for your smart device.
- Go to LinkedIn.com
- Click on your profile picture in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Click View Profile on the drop-down.
- Under the background image, click the pen icon.
- Click on the drop-down menu under “Pronouns.”
- Select your pronouns from the drop-down menu.
- Now select how you want your pronouns visible—choose “Your Network,” “Your Connections,” or “All LinkedIn Members.”
- Click Save.
At this time, my.SMU does not allow you to designate your preferred pronouns. This is an option under discussion.
At this time, Microsoft Teams does not offer the ability to edit your profile and include your desired pronouns. We are monitoring their development roadmap for when these features might be available.
Pronouns can be added to the About Me section of your profile.
- Sign in to Wiki.SMU.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner and select Profile.
- Click the Edit profile button.
- Add your pronouns to the About Me section.
- Click Save.
Please Note: The About Me field can be formatted using wiki markup. Learn More.
- Login to smu.edu/zoom
- Click Profile
- Click Edit
- Enter your desired pronouns
- Select the preference as to when these pronouns appear for zoom meetings
- Click Save