We offer several options for certification. Whether you are looking to showcase your skills in Excel or demonstrate to an employer that they can onboard you faster with your knowledge of Outlook, we can help.
Benefits of Being Certified
- Allows Faculty to focus more on methodologies and spend less time on applications.
- Supervisors may utilize certification studies to close skill gaps
- Students can digitally broadcast their accomplishments with MOS 2019 online badges. These digital badges contain verifiable data that tell employers and admission committees what the student did and why it matters.
- Prepares students for advanced level courses and increases marketability.
91% of hiring managers consider employee certification as a criterion for hiring.
81% of hiring mangers feel that certified individuals perform better.
79% of hiring managers feel that certified individuals are more efficient.
50% more likely to be hired Full Time.
Becoming a Microsoft Office Specialist
The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification gives students and institutions of higher learning the tools they need to chart their own course, fulfill their ambition, and realize their potential.
MOS includes four levels of certification:
Office Specialist Associate
Students can certify at all levels. They should try to obtain the highest level possible. The market demands—and caters to—those who possess the most education and skills.
Available Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certifications
- Excel Associate (Excel and Excel 2019)
- Outlook Associate (Outlook and Outlook 2019)
- PowerPoint Associate (PowerPoint and PowerPoint 2019)
- Word Associate (Word and Word 2019)
- Microsoft Access Expert (Access and Access 2019)
- Microsoft Excel Expert (Excel and Excel 2019)
- Microsoft Word Expert (Word and Word 2019)
Where do I begin?
Microsoft Office Certification Exams are a performance-based timed exam and conducted in a "live," or simulated, environment. Candidates receive 5-7 small projects with tasks that build on each other. Certification exams are free for faculty, staff, and students.
Students: If you are taking a Microsoft Office exam as part of a course requirement visit your Canvas course for your class specific access code.
All other SMU community members who are interested in obtaining access submit a Help Ticket to obtain your GMetrix access code and receive information on how to schedule your exam.
Study Resources for Certifications
Whether you are looking to get certified on the Office suite or using Creative Cloud, these resources will help to get you up to speed.
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification
- Microsoft Office Specialist Objectives - Excel (Microsoft Docs)
- (LinkedIn Learning)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Objectives - Microsoft Excel Expert (Microsoft Docs)
- Cert Prep: Excel Expert - Microsoft Office Specialist for Office 2019 and Office 365 (LinkedIn Learning)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Objectives - PowerPoint (Microsoft Docs)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Objectives - Word (Microsoft Docs)
- Cert Prep: Word Associate - Microsoft Office Specialist for Office 2019 and Office 365 (LinkedIn Learning)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Objectives - Microsoft Word Expert (Microsoft Docs)
- Cert Prep: Word Expert - Microsoft Office Specialist for Office 2019 and Office 365 (LinkedIn Learning)