OneDrive allows you to access, share, and collaborate on all your files from anywhere.
SMU students and employees receive one terabyte of storage space. All files that you store in OneDrive are private initially. However, you can easily change the permissions of the files to share them with other individuals—both internally and externally. The single-item file size upload limit is currently 10 gigabytes.
OneDrive for Business offers the following capabilities:
- Store up to 1 TB of data online.
- Share files within SMU as well as outside of SMU.
- Access and synchronize files easily on multiple devices.
- Click the Sign In button above to access your Microsoft 365 account.
- Click OneDrive from the top menu bar. The first time you click on OneDrive, you may see a message indicating your account is activated. That process takes a few minutes to complete.
- You can use the OneDrive service from the browser window. Once you have initially launched OneDrive, it should also be a default save option without your Microsoft Office applications.
The OneDrive Sync application can also be downloaded to your local computer. The OneDrive Sync application will allow files saved to a specified location on your local drive to be automatically backed up to your OneDrive account.
Adding OneDrive to your Microsoft Office Suite
- Launch an Office application.
- Click File.
- Click Account.
- Click Add a Service.
- Select Storage > OneDrive.
- Enter your email address using the @smu.edu format.
Syncing with OneDrive
Sync allows you to designate one or more OneDrive for Business folders to be replicated on your local computer or mobile device. Once you establish sync, you can change a file in OneDrive online and the local copy of the file is updated automatically and vice versa.
For Office clients, OneDrive sync is already built in. Once you click Sync from within the browser, it should automatically create the local folder and start the connection service.
For other clients, you can download the OneDrive sync app.
For more information or to view tutorials on configuring and using OneDrive, visit What is OneDrive for work or school?