The instructions for configuring your device to retrieve your SMU email vary slightly depending on the device and email client. However, the email settings are the same no matter which device you have.
The following information is for configuring faculty, staff, and contractor accounts that reside on SMU's e-mail servers. For student e-mail configuration, please refer to the student configuration instructions for Office 365.
General Configuration Information
|If the phone prompts for a Username, Password, and Domain:
||Your SMU Password
iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices
Please Note: The wireless connection needs to be off on the iPhone's configuration settings or it needs to be connected to a secure network, such as PerunaNet (on campus.) It may also help to turn wireless off and back on again to regain the correct connection to PerunaNet. There is also a dedicated app available for iOS devices called OWA for iPhone if you don't want to use the native mail client.
- Open the Settings app on your iOS Mobile Device
- Scroll down and tap Accounts & Passwords
- Tap Add Account
- Select Exchange from the list
- Enter the following information when prompted:
- Email Address: Your SMU email address. It should look like this: firstname.lastname@example.org NOT email@example.com
- Description: Whatever you want to call the account (Exchange, SMU, etc.)
- Tap Next; if prompted for the server, please enter: mail.smu.edu
- Please choose Sign In when prompted to choose between Configure Manually or Sign In
- Enter your password in the Password field that appears and click Next
- Select the apps you want to use with the account (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes)
- Tap Save
- Click Settings
- Go to Accounts and Sync
- Click Add Account
- Select Corporate (MS Exchange)
- Enter your Email address and Password
- Click Next
- It will automatically attempt to configure the phone, but will fail. It will fill in several fields that need to be corrected
- Domain\Username: SMU\SMUID. (If those two fields are listed separately, the domain is SMU. The username is your SMU ID number)
- Exchange Server: webmail.smu.edu
- Use Secure connection should be checked
- Click Next
- Click Finish
Active Sync (Windows Mobile Phones)
- On the Main Applications screen, click on Active Sync.
- Click menu.
- Select Add New Server Source.
- Enter webmail.smu.edu as the server name
- If you are prompted to enter an SMU ID number, password, and domain, enter the following:
Username: SMUID Number
Password: SMU Password
- If you are prompted to enter only an SMU ID number and password, enter the following:
Username: SMUIDnumber@smu.edu, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: your SMU password.
If your Blackberry device support Exchange, follow these settings:
- Click New Email Setup
- Username should be your email address and then enter your SMU Password.
- The setup will FAIL! That is expected. There should then be an option to provide the settings manually.
- Choose Outlook Exchange for the email type
- Server: https://webmail.smu.edu
- Username: smu\smuid#
- Mailbox Name: email alias (first part of your email address)
- Password: your email password
POP/IMAP Server Information
Although a Microsoft Exchange connection to your e-mail is recommended for best performance, the SMU e-mail system also supports POP and IMAP configurations. The exact procedure for setting up these connections varies widely depending on what program you use, but the server information is always the same:
|Outgoing Server (SMTP)
||995 (Use SSL)
(Replace "username" to match your SMU e-mail address)
(Replace 00001111 with your own ID number)