The SMU Email account is created in conjunction with the normal account creation process. For students, this process occurs upon acceptance into the University. Faculty and Staff accounts are created automatically based on employment data.
SMU will never ask you to verify your account password, SSN, or other personal data in an email or IM. If you receive an email requesting you to provide any private details about your account, please delete it immediately. For more information on phishing, click here.
Accessing SMU Email
Employees: SMU email can be accessed via webmail.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Thunderbird, Apple Mail and others can be configured to retrieve mail from the SMU servers. Mail clients can also be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
Whenever possible, configure your mail clients using the Exchange configuration. This provides full synchronization of mail, contacts and calendar items. IMAP configuration is also available. For more details on the configuration options, visit the Faculty/Staff Configuration page.
Students: All student email are hosted on Office 365. You can access your account via office.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Thunderbird, Apple Mail and others can be configured to retrieve mail from the SMU servers. Mail clients can also be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
About the SMU Email Account
- @smu.edu and @mail.smu.edu formats are interchangeable
- SMU Email cannot be forwarded to another email address
- The maximum message size allowed by the servers is 25 MB. For sending larger attachments, please use OneDrive (office.smu.edu) or box.smu.edu.
- Students retain their SMU email account after graduation!
- The current storage quota for faculty and staff is 10 GB.
- The storage quota for students after moving to Office 365 is 50 GB.
- Spam filtering is provided automatically on the server.
- Client side spam filters are also available.
- All names and addresses automatically populate the Global Address List. This address list is available in Webmail, and may be available in other email clients depending on the configuration.
- For faculty and staff email, items contained in the Deleted Items folder will automatically be removed after 30 days. Items in the Junk Email folder will automatically be removed after 60 days.