SMU provides free email accounts to University employees, students, and official retirees. This is the official means of communication between the University and you. Plus, students retain their SMU email account after graduation!
The SMU Email account is created in conjunction with the normal account creation process. For students, this process occurs upon acceptance into the University. Faculty and Staff accounts are created automatically based on employment data.
Accessing Your SMU Email
SMU email can be accessed via webmail.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Thunderbird with the Owl add-on, Apple Mail and others can be configured to retrieve mail from the SMU servers. Mail clients can also be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
Whenever possible, configure your mail clients using the Exchange configuration. This provides full synchronization of mail, contacts and calendar items. IMAP configuration is no longer available for faculty/staff accounts. For more details on the configuration options, visit the Faculty/Staff Configuration page.
All student email are hosted on Microsoft 365. You can access your account via office.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Apple Mail and others can be configured to retrieve mail from the SMU servers. Mail clients can also be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
If you receive an email requesting you to provide any private details about your account, please delete it immediately.
For more information on phishing, please see the Security Resources Phishing page.
FAQs About Your SMU Email Account
- @smu.edu and @mail.smu.edu formats are interchangeable.
- SMU Email cannot be forwarded to another email address.
- The maximum message size allowed by the servers is 25 MB.
For sending larger attachments, please use OneDrive (office.smu.edu) or box.smu.edu.
- Students will retain the use of their SMU email account upon graduation.
- The current storage quota for faculty and staff is 10 GB.
- The storage quota for students after moving to Microsoft 365 is 50 GB.
- Spam filtering is provided automatically on the server.
- Client side spam filters are also available.
- All names and addresses automatically populate the Global Address List. This address list is available in Webmail, and may be available in other email clients depending on the configuration.
- For faculty and staff email, items contained in the Deleted Items folder will automatically be removed after 30 days.
Items in the Junk Email folder will automatically be removed after 60 days.