- *New Housing Exemptions: If you plan to request or have already been approved for an exemption from On-Campus housing, your financial aid package may change. Please see the FAQ's page Housing and Dining section.
- *New Financial Aid Appeals Due to Special Circumstances: SMU recognizes that students and families occasionally face unexpected circumstances that may significantly impact the overall cost of attendance or their ability to cover those costs. The Office of Financial Aid is authorized by the U.S. Dept of Education to consider special circumstances through an appeals process, reviewed on a case by case basis, with limits to what and how special circumstances may be considered. For more information on the appeal process, click here.
- SMU Distributes $2.3 Million in CARES Relief Funding: For additional information and frequently asked questions, please click here.
- Response to COVID19: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the SMU campus remains closed to the public through August 10, 2020. However, the Office of Financial Aid, remains "all systems go!" Our transition to remote operations has been challenging, but we are fully committed to providing assistance and service to our students, their families, and the entire the SMU community. Our advisors are currently answering calls and emails remotely and offer virtual advising through Skype or Zoom. To schedule your virtual appointment, click here .
2020-2021 ACADEMIC YEAR: (August 1, 2020 - July 31, 2021)
- Financial Aid Notifications for the 2020-2021 academic year
- New incoming & transfer undergraduate students: Began January, 2020 and continues on a daily basis.
- New incoming graduate students: Began in April 2020 and continues on a daily basis.
- Returning/Continuing student (Undergraduate & Graduate) Began in late June 2020 after spring term grades were posted.
- Graduate Student Scholarships, Stipends, and Assistantships are authorized by the Academic Department and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid to be incorporated as part of the total financial aid package. If you are expecting to receive a graduate scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship but do not see it when you receive your financial aid offer, please contact your academic department immediately for additional information.
- Undergraduate Institutional Merit scholarships are authorized, primarily, through the Admissions cycle or by the academic department for the declared major. Eligibility is determined through the Admission process and final list of recipients is submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. The scholarship will be included as part of the total financial aid offer. Requirements for renewing the scholarship varies based on the type of scholarship. Current scholarship recipients are evaluated annually at the end of the Spring term for renewability.
- Please review your My.SMU Task Tile regularly for any outstanding requests or updates to your financial aid information. You will receive a notification via SMU email of any updates or changes to your financial aid package.
- Billing and payment information, including payment due dates, can be found on the University Bursar's website.