The SMU Office of the University Registrar is an operating component of the Division of Enrollment Services. Our mission is to support the Mission of SMU and the specific goals and objectives outlined in the Second Century Strategic Plan by providing quality service to the all constituents – students, faculty, staff, family members of students, and the general public.
Our principal responsibilities are to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and security of student data and academic records; to provide various services related to enrollment and academic records; to conduct inspiring academic ceremonies celebrating the academic accomplishments of SMU students; and, to help SMU students succeed at SMU and in their post SMU pursuits.
Specific service areas include:
- oversight and interpretation of academic records policies and establishment of related procedures; publication of university calendars; oversight of the approval of the University Calendar; oversight of compliance with FERPA
- undergraduate transfer student transition and articulation oversight; undergraduate non-degree admissions and advising; veterans certification; university catalogs; academic ceremonies
- academic room scheduling; schedule of classes; course registrations
- maintaining permanent academic records; issuing transcripts and certifications of academic work; issuing diplomas;
- certifying academic eligibility of student athletes; managing degree progress reporting system; managing student biographical and demographic information; providing standard and ad hoc enrollment and student data reports; maintaining the Enrollment Services and Bursar websites; managing the SMU imaging system as related to student related documents; managing security to student academic data
We accomplish our mission by striving toward excellence in everything we do, maintaining a welcoming and encouraging service environment, challenging ourselves to be efficient and effective in our work, seeking out new and better ways of doing business for ourselves and the constituents we serve, and creating an environment in the office and on campus which encourages growth, supports academics, respects people and differences, promotes communication and participation, and cultivates a performance culture.
John A. Hall
Executive Director of Enrollment Services and University Registrar