- * NEW SMU Distributes an Additional $2.3 Million in Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF II): For additional information and frequently asked questions, please click here.
- *NEW 2021 Summer Term Requests for Financial Aid will be available for use on April 1, 2021. The form can be found in the Financial Aid Forms Library.
- Housing Exemptions: If you plan to request or have already been approved for an exemption from On-Campus housing, your financial aid package may change. Please see the FAQ's page Housing and Dining section.
- Financial Aid Appeals Due to Special Circumstances: SMU recognizes that students and families occasionally face unexpected circumstances that may significantly impact the overall cost of attendance or their ability to cover those costs. The Office of Financial Aid is authorized by the U.S. Dept of Education to consider special circumstances through an appeals process, reviewed on a case by case basis, with limits to what and how special circumstances may be considered. For more information on the appeal process, click here.
- SMU Distributes $2.3 Million in Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF I): For additional information and frequently asked questions, please click here.
2021-2022 ACADEMIC YEAR: (August 1, 2021 - July 31, 2022)
- Financial Aid Notifications for the 2021-2022 academic year
- New incoming & transfer undergraduate students: Began January, 2021 and continues on a daily basis.
- New incoming graduate students: Begins in April 2021 and continues on a daily basis.
- Returning/Continuing student (Undergraduate & Graduate) Begins in late June 2021 after spring term grades are posted.
- Graduate Student Scholarships, Stipends, and Assistantships are authorized by the Academic Department and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid to be incorporated as part of the total financial aid package. If you are expecting to receive a graduate scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship but do not see it when you receive your financial aid offer, please contact your academic department immediately for additional information.
- Undergraduate Institutional Merit scholarships are authorized, primarily, through the Admissions cycle or by the academic department for the declared major. Eligibility is determined through the Admission process and final list of recipients is submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. The scholarship will be included as part of the total financial aid offer. Requirements for renewing the scholarship varies based on the type of scholarship. Current scholarship recipients are evaluated annually at the end of the Spring term for renewability.
- Please review your My.SMU Task Tile regularly for any outstanding requests or updates to your financial aid information. You will receive a notification via SMU email of any updates or changes to your financial aid package.
- Billing and payment information, including payment due dates, can be found on the University Bursar's website.