About Network Storage
OIT provides several types of network storage: mapped network drives accessed through the domain, SharePoint Online, and Box cloud storage. Domain network drives are available only to faculty, staff and student workers.
SMU365 offers secure, web based filed storage, sharing and collaboration for faculty and staff only at this time.
Box@SMU offers secure, web based file storage, sharing and collaboration. Personal Box accounts are created automatically. Departmental Box spaces are available by request through the Online Support Center.
Domain Network Drives
There are a number of different network drives provided and managed by OIT. These drives can only be accessed with SMU credentials (can not be accessed by a guest).
Connecting to Network Drives (Login to Wiki.SMU required to view)
- U drive: personal file storage space available to all employees and students. Allows for 4GB of storage accessed by the individual user only.
- V drive: Departmental storage space. Folders allow individual members within a specific department to store and share information. This is not designed for cross departmental storage or sharing.
- T drive: Designed for cross departmental storage and sharing for various Teams.
- Q drive: Used primarily by SMU Financial users
- L drive: Used for Building Managers and disaster recovery information
- Other drives are available for limited use
U drive space is created for each employee and student during the initial account creation process. All other network drive access must be requested by the employee's supervisor through the Online Support Center.
Accessing the network drives
For windows computers on campus, the drives should map automatically when logging into the domain. Macs and non domain computers will have to map these drives manually. These drives are only available from the SMU network. Off campus access is granted only through vpn.smu.edu. More information is available on our wiki.
Information on manually mapping a network drive can be found at Connecting to Network Drives.