About the LockDown Browser
The LockDown Browser + Canvas is SMU's secure exam management solution that enables faculty to administer online quizzes and exams in Canvas while restricting access on those devices to the Internet, applications, or other networked resources. During an exam period, the test taker's computer or iPad is restricted to accessing the Canvas quiz only. Once a test is submitted, all communications and programs on the device are unlocked and restored. Canvas quizzes are fully encrypted and can only be accessed using SMU Canvas along with the LockDown Browser client application.
Visit ' product Overview Page to learn more about LockDown Browser, Canvas Quizzes and how they work together. Please contact the OIT Helpdesk to schedule a direct consultation with an SMU Academic Technology Services team member for more information as to whether or not Canvas Quizzes and LockDown Browser makes sense for your secure online quizzing and testing needs!
Integration with Canvas
LockDown Browser is utilized through an LTI (Learning Tool Interoperability) integration directly within Canvas, SMU's course management system.
The integration with Canvas is minimal, LockDown Browser can be found in your Navigation (click on Settings and choose Navigation tab). Please contact the OIT Helpdesk for guidance on how best to use LockDown Browser with Canvas quizzes.
Getting Started with LockDown Browser for Students
Students will be prompted, when they access the Quiz in Canvas, to either launch the LockDown Browser and start the quiz, or to download LockDown Browser from a specified link. The LockDown Browser application will then be installed directly on the student's Windows or Apple laptop, or Apple iPad. LockDown Browser is not currently compatible with any Android or Chrome OS devices.
LockDown Browser is a one-time installation and will remain on your computer. The next time you need to take an online quiz that requires the LockDown Browser, simply launch the LockDown Browser, login to Canvas, and take the designated quiz.
Downloading & Installing LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser users a standard Windows or Mac installer which can be downloaded by faculty or students from the following link:
These links are unique for Southern Methodist University.
For Mac and Windows Full Clients:
For Apple iPad at the iTunes App Store:
If you experience any LockDown Browser installation and/or usage issues, please submit a ticket to the OIT Help Desk or contact your instructor to submit a Help Desk ticket on your behalf.
Taking a Locked-Down Quiz or Exam
- Ensure your device is fully charged! Typically power adapter/outlets are not available during your test. Ensure that your device has plenty of battery life to last for the duration of your exam.
- Download and install the LockDown Browser application before arriving to class. The software is available from the links above.
- Ensure that any pending software updates have been installed so those do not interrupt your test. Also verify that the date and time on your computer are set appropriately.
- To start a quiz that requires the LockDown Browser, launch the application "LockDown Browser."
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messenger) choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to your Canvas course using your student ID and SMU PW.
- Navigate to the quiz in Canvas and click Take a Quiz.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Quiz button is clicked.
For online support for LockDown Browser, visit the LockDown Browser Student Support Center. If you experience any problems during the course of an active Canvas + LockDown Browser quiz test, please notify your instructor or test proctor immediately.
Getting Started with LockDown Browser for Faculty
Canvas and its student LockDown browsing testing software, LockDown Browser, pair up to offer a secure online testing environment. Online quizzes are created using Canvas' internal Quizzes tool digitally utilizing student Windows and Apple computers or Apple iPads.
Sign Up for Canvas Quizzes/Exams + LockDown Browser
Interested in using or learning more about conducting secure assessments using Canvas with LockDown Browser? Request a demo and consultation with your Academic Technology Services team member by contacting the OIT Helpdesk.
Hard-copy / Paper Testing Options
Inasmuch as online testing can improve assessment experiences for faculty and students alike, many scenarios still call for the need to be able to deliver hard-copy / paper tests to students. Canvas allows faculty to print quizzes and assessments as hard copies which can be taken by hand or utilized with standard Scantron assessment forms. Scoring from Scantron forms can then be manually entered into Canvas Gradebook with the designated Quiz or Exam. Externally graded scoring sheets cannot be imported directly into Canvas at this time.
Additional Help Resources/Notes
For online support for LockDown Browser, visit the LockDown Browser resource center. Have questions about whether Canvas + LockDown Browser and whether it is right for you? Contact the OIT Helpdesk to set up an appointment for consultation from an Academic Technology Services team member.
General Notes / Tricks & Tips
General usage and early adopters provide some good information for LockDown Browser usage with Canvas Quizzes!
- During a Canvas quiz using LockDown Browser, the Quiz Timer continues if the Completed Quiz is not submitted. Please be sure that students are directed to SUBMIT QUIZ upon completion.
What Sorts of Files/Formats Work with Canvas Quizzes and LockDown Browser?
- Students can Upload Files
- Students can Play Audio and Video Files
- Students can View Embedded YouTube Videos
- Students can View Embedded M4A (FilmStrip) Files
- Faculty and Embed *PDF Documents which Students Can Preview Inline
- Students can View JPG and GIF Image Files
- Students can View MS Word and PowerPoint Files Inline
What Sorts of Files/Formats Do NOT Work with Canvas Quizzes and LockDown Browser?
- Instructors Cannot Link to Any Files Outside of Canvas Quiz or Outside of Canvas
- Instructors Cannot Link to Files Externally (SMU Box)
- Instructors Cannot Embed Download Links for Students to Download External Files
- Instructors Can Only Offer One Quiz Per LockDown Browser Session
- Instructors Cannot Link to "Public" File Links
- Instructors Cannot Link to MS Excel files (MS Excel files cannot be viewed Inline)
What OTHER questions can we answer/test for you?
- Email email@example.com and we'll help you test your use-cases!
LockDown Browser System Requirements
Windows: 10, 8, 7 *
Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher *
iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. Details.
* LockDown Browser may continue to run in older operating systems that have reached "end-of-life" but students may encounter unexpected results.
Windows: 32 MB RAM minimum
Mac: 32 MB RAM minimum
Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. Both the Windows edition and the Mac edition of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version affect a Chrome browser that's already