Once we receive your idea, our next step is to partner with you in developing a proposal. Our goal is to provide a high-level outline of your project vision, identify objectives, stakeholders, risks, and resource needs to governance for council review.
An OIT representative will contact you within 10 business days for the following information:
- Project description
- Business case (project purpose, reason for implementation, solution provided by implementation)
- Benefits (how implementation will benefit the University)
- Alignment to SMU’s Strategic Plan
- Total project cost (high-level cost estimate for both funded and unfunded items; i.e., hardware, software, consultants)
- Amount of requested funding (if additional funding is required)
- Estimated work hours (customer effort hours)
- Project start and end dates
Peer Review Process
Functional, strategic, and executive-level councils review proposals for IT projects. Depending on the scale and type of proposal, multiple councils may review before the project is given final approval. Learn more about our IT governance councils, their meeting schedules, and the IT project approval workflow.