Faculty and Staff Connections
Faculty and Staff offices are equipped with wired Ethernet connections. In most locations, network IP addresses are assigned automatically. Once the device is connected, you may be prompted to register the device on the network.
All requests for network services should be placed via the Online Support Center. These include the following:
- IP assignment Request
- Network jack installation
- Network jack activation
For information on SMU Wireless, click here.
About Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop connections allow you to connect to your office computer from another computer. Once the connection is established, you have access to all of the applications and files on your computer in addition to your local computer resources (printing, clipboard etc). Before Remote Desktop will work, your Office computer must be configured to allow remote connections. By default, this option is not enabled.
You will also be required to download the VPN Any Connect client on your home computer and establish a secure connection before connecting to your office machine.
- Configure your Office computer to allow remote desktop connections. (Contact IT Help Desk for assistance.)
- Locate your office computer hostname/IP address (click here from your office computer)
- Leave your office computer powered on. Make sure you lock the machine before you leave the office for security.
- Download the Any Connect VPN client on your home computer.
- Establish the VPN client on your home computer.
- Configure the remote connection on your home computer.
- Establish the connection and authenticate.