Departments and groups may request a departmental account, sometimes referred to as a "generic" account, allowing multiple people to receive and send out messages on behalf of the department or program.
Using the departmental email address is also recommended for use as the account owner's email when setting up any social media profiles.
Requesting a Departmental Email Account
Request a departmental account or changes to permissions via the Online Support Center.
Editors and Authors
Each departmental account is assigned two security groups: Editors and Authors. Members of the Editors group have full permissions to the mailbox, while Authors have limited permissions.
Accessing the Account
The account can be accessed as you have permissions to the account. Once permission has been granted to a departmental account, you can access that account online at webmail.smu.edu or using an email client like Outlook or Mail. Full instructions can be found below.
Outlook for Windows
- Exit Outlook
- Go to the Control Panel
- Double click Mail (32-bit)
- Click Show Profiles
- Select the default profile and click Properties
- Click Email Accounts
- Click New
- Only enter the email address of the departmental mailbox
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- Click Close
- Launch Outlook
Outlook for Mac
- Open Outlook
- Click on Outlook in the top left corner of the screen (just to the right of the Apple icon)
- Click on Preferences
- Select Accounts
- Click on the + in the bottom left corner of the window that opened
- Select New Account...
- Enter the email address
- Click Continue
- Enter SMU\ID number in the DOMAIN\username or email field, replacing ID number with your own SMU ID
- Enter your SMU password in the Password field
- Enter mail.smu.edu in the Server (optional) field
- Click Add Account
- Click on icon in the top right corner of the webmail screen.
- Select Open Another Mailbox.
- Enter the name of the departmental mailbox you wish to access.
- Click Open.
Additionally, you can access the account by going directly to a unique URL. The URL would follow the format of
email@example.com would be the account you would like to access.
Other mail clients and iOS devices
Unfortunately, due to changes in security protocols, accessing departmental emails accounts on iOS is no longer an available option. Please contact the IT Help Desk if you need any assistance with configuring Outlook or Webmail for departmental account access.
Student Workers & Microsoft 365
If you are a student worker with access to a departmental account but your personal SMU account has been moved to Office 365, you will need to log into the departmental account using the following address:
https://webmail.smu.edu/owa/EMAIL (Replace EMAIL with the departmental account's e-mail address.)
That will take you to the Outlook Web App login page where you can log in with your SMU ID number and password.