The Office of Information Technology’s Research and Data Science Services team provides dedicated consultative and project resources for advancing research and education in Internet of Things (IoT) technologies.
IoT technologies are all around us from the phones in our pockets, watches on our wrists, thermostats in our houses, and chips in our ID badges. It combines physical sensors, communication technologies, data analytics, machine intelligence and automation—as well as the underlying code tying everything together.
The mission of the Internet of Things team is to help support the unique challenges of IoT research and to utilize IoT technologies to solve problems and to leverage data in powerful new ways. SMU’s IoT developers help faculty and students perform cutting-edge interdisciplinary research and collaborate to bring new technologies to light.
By partnering with faculty, staff, and students, OIT's IoT developers:
- fabricate IoT prototypes to turn ideas into new designs and devices
- apply new IoT technology methods to derive insights from real-world data
- utilize expertise in IoT and software engineering to push the boundaries of what is possible
- leverage network communication to connect devices and people around the world
- collaborate across disciplines to foster new ideas and unique applications for devices
- collaborate with faculty to help co-author publications and patents