Applicants submit an audition video without meeting faculty or participating in music audition days. Music Education, Music Therapy or Music Composition applicants submitting a recorded audition will be emailed information about registering for an interview with faculty.
Recorded Audition Deadlines
- If you are applying to SMU as Early Action, Early Decision I, or Spring Transfer, your Meadows application and recorded audition are due by or before November 1.
- If you are applying to SMU as Regular Decision, Early Decision II, or Fall Transfer, your Meadows application and recorded audition are due by or before January 15.
Music Education, Music Therapy, and Music Composition Applicants
In addition to auditioning on their primary instrument, Music Education, Music Therapy and Music Composition applicants must interview with faculty via Zoom. Applicants will receive information on how to register for the interview after they submit their application.
Music Education and Music Therapy applicants are required to submit a music teacher recommendation within the Music Application. Applicants can upload this directly to their application or have their recommender email their recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Composition applicants are required to submit a composition portfolio. The portfolio must consist of:
- 2-5 scores in PDF file format with accompanying YouTube/Vimeo videos of performances (live preferred, but MIDI realizations are acceptable)
- 1-2 page written statement of their composition interest, background and goals in PDF or MS Word format
- Recommendation letter from music teacher in PDF or MS Word format
Applying to SMU
All music applicants must apply to Meadows School of the Arts and, in a separate application, also apply to SMU. We recommend applying to both within the same semester. See details and deadlines for SMU applications here.
- Fall Transfer: Apply to SMU by April 1, audition during the posted on-campus audition dates or by recorded audition.
- Spring Transfer: Apply to SMU by November 1, audition by/on December.
Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied admission requirements. Plan ahead to optimize your possibility of earning a Transfer Scholarship and check out the Transfer Equivalency Guides.
Pro Tip: Early Action versus Early Decision SMU application
Early Decision is a binding agreement to attend SMU if you are accepted to the university, even if you are not also accepted to the Meadows Music Division. For those who wish to apply by the November 1 “Early” deadline, we recommend that music applicants select “Early Action” instead of “Early Decision.” By applying Early Action, music applicants can keep their options open while expressing strong interest in SMU.
Submitting The Meadows Music Application
- Click on the “Start Your Meadows Application” button below. You are taken to a page titled “Your Application to SMU.”
- If you have already submitted an SMU application and have previously logged in to your personal status page, click “Log in” under “Returning Users,” using the same username and password.
- If you have not yet applied to SMU and therefore have not received your SMU personal status page login credentials, see “First-time users” and click on “Create an account” to log in.
- After logging in, scroll to the bottom of that page and click “Start New Application.”
- In “Select application type,” choose “2024,” then in the drop-down menu select “Meadows Music Application.” Select “Create application.”
- Once you have started or submitted your SMU and your Meadows Music Application, you will be able to access your status page using your login credentials. At the top-right of the status page you will see a small toggle arrow where you can toggle between your SMU and your Meadows applications.
- Register for your audition: After you submit your Meadows application, you will receive a confirmation email with directions on how to go to your online status page. There you will find a link to register for your audition.
- View and prepare the required undergraduate audition repertoire.
- Complete the Meadows Applied Teacher Request Form.
- NOTE: This form is not required for students whose instruments are bassoon; double bass; euphonium; guitar; saxophone; or tuba.
- Complete the Meadows Applied Teacher Request Form after submitting the Meadows Music Application. This form can be found within your Meadows Music Application.