Transfer Students

Dallas Hall

Transfer Equivalency Guides

University policy requires that of the 122 minimum required term hours for a degree, at least 60 hours must be earned in residence at SMU. Therefore, regardless of the number of transferable credits completed elsewhere, to receive an SMU degree, you will need to earn at least 60 credit hours in residence at SMU. All students must also complete SMU's University Curriculum requirements to earn an undergraduate degree from the University.

Official college transcripts are required for ALL college-level work attempted, regardless of transferability. 

Courses that do NOT transfer to SMU include the following:

  • Courses below college level (e.g., developmental English, math and reading courses; ESL courses)
  • Vocational-Technical courses
  • PE activity courses in excess of two hours
  • Correspondence courses 
  • Courses completed at a school that is not regionally-accredited 
  • Courses with a grade below a C-minus (Note: Although the course is non-transferable, the grade received below a C- will count towards a student’s admission eligibility and is calculated into his/her all-college GPA, which is used when calculating Latin degree honors at graduation time.)
  • Credit by examination earned at another college or university 
  • For courses not taught at SMU, free-elective transfer credit may be awarded for appropriate courses completed with a grade of C-minus or better at regionally-accredited colleges or universities that meet SMU’s academic standards. (Note: Transferable courses for which there is no exact SMU equivalent are given an "XX", "YY" or other two letter designation.)

Note: Please be aware that graduate and professional programs have certain limits regarding the transferability of courses. You should consult with your specific school or department concerning transfer courses.

Please click on the following Community College Districts to find our University Curriculum Equivalency Guide:




For additional transfer information on majors, scholarships, and special programs please check out our Quick Connect Guides.