Director of English Graduate Studies
Ph.D., Stanford University
Areas of Interest
- Chicana/o literature and culture
- The ethnic novel
- The U.S.-Mexico border
- Asian American literature
- Ethnic and immigration history
- “Southwest Asia”: The Transpacific Geographies of Chicana/o Literature. Rutgers University Press (2016). Latinidad: Transnational Cultures in the United States book series.
- “The Promise and Problem of Interracial Politics for Chicana/o Culture.” Forthcoming in The Journal of Transnational American Studies.
- “Daniel Cano: In Life and Text.” Forthcoming in the Oxford Encyclopedia of Latina/o Literature.
- “Model or Menace? Racial Discourses of Chinese and Mexican Labor at the U.S.-Mexico Border, 1900-1940.” Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies, vol. 40:2, 2015: 7-34. Selected for reprint in The Aztlán Mexican Studies Reader. UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center Press (forthcoming).
- “Aztlán’s Asians: Forging and Forgetting Crossracial Relations in the Chicana/o Literary Imagination.” American Literature, vol. 85:3, 2013: 562-589. Winner of Western Literature Association’s Don D. Walker Award for best essay published in western American literary studies in 2013.
- “The Inter-ethnic Return: Racial and Cultural Multiplicity in Foundational Asian American and Chicano/a Literatures.” Comparative American Studies, vol. 8:4, 2010: 267-282.
- “Gendered Nationalism in Xicoténcatl.” MELUS, vol. 30, 2005: 189-204.
Southwest Asia: The Transpacific Geographies of Chicana/o Literature, Rutgers University Press
- English 2312: Introduction to Fiction (Latina/o and Asian American Literary Imaginations)
- English 3310: Contemporary Approaches to Literature, Language, and Culture (An Introduction to Literary Theory and Criticism)
- English 3363: Chicana/o Literature
- English 3373: Literatures of the US Southwest: Imagining a Transnational Geography
- English 4360: The “Transnational and Interethnic Turns” in American Literature
- English 7370: An Advanced Seminar in Minority Literature: The Interethnic Form of Borderlands Culture