Serve. Lead. Achieve.

SMU is proud to be the institution of choice for so many undergraduate and graduate students who served or are serving in our country’s armed forces. We want to be part of your story as you pursue your goals. We salute your dedication and value your experiences and commitment to education, all of which make our campus community stronger for all. We are here to support prospective and current student veterans, service members and their families throughout their education journey, from admission to SMU to graduation.

Veterans group end zone photo

Using your Benefits at SMU

The University Registrar’s Office assists students using their VA education benefits and acts as a liaison with the VA regional office to certify enrollment. SMU accepts the following VA education benefits.

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
  • Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®, including:
    • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
    • Yellow Ribbon Program
    • Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship
  • Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® - Selective Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Texas’ Hazelwood benefit cannot be used at SMU as it is only offered through public institutions

Learn more about each chapter of benefits

New Student Checklist

To receive education benefits from VA, students must first apply for their benefits using VA’s online application: Application for VA Education Benefits (22-1990 or 22-1999(e)). Students applying for Chapter 31, Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), use a separate application: Application for Vocational Rehabilitation for Claimants with Service-Connected Disabilities. VA will review applications to determine eligibility. 

Please complete and submit the following items to the School Certifying Officials in the Registrar's Office at

You may also drop of your forms in-person at the Transfer & Veterans Services Center during our office hours of 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time.

Transfer & Veterans Services Center
Laura Lee Blanton Building, Suite 100
6185 Airline Road
Dallas, TX 75205

Contact us

SMU Veterans Services
P: 214-768-4348

Related links

veterans lapel pins

The Yellow Ribbon Program

SMU is proud to support our armed forces members, veterans and their families. We are participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program for the 2024-2025 academic year.

Current student support

We are dedicated to your growth and well-being. From academic support to health and wellness services, the SMU family has your back.

Don’t forget to get involved! SMU has hundreds of student groups, including some specifically tailored to veteran students, such as SMU MilVets and Veterans in Business.

Get involved

Veterans lounge

How to apply

We welcome applications for admission from current or veteran service members as well as their family members!


An SMU education prepares you for wherever you go. Apply as a first-year student if you have not completed college-level courses at an accredited college or university. Apply as a transfer student if you have completed college-level courses.

Transfer students must have completed a college-level math course if it has been more than three years since high school graduation and have at least a 2.7 transferable GPA.

NO APPLICATION FEE! SMU automatically waives the application fee for all undergraduate U.S. military veteran applicants.


You’ve come to the right place to explore exceptional graduate programs led by exceptional faculty and designed to equip you with the knowledge, skills, and networks to excel in your field. At SMU, we also make it financially more feasible to pursue your educational and career goals. We award financial aid and a variety of departmental scholarships to propel your career, and life, forward.

Learn more

Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE)

If it is not possible for you to be a full-time student in pursuit of a degree at this time, we understand. That is why we encourage you to consider SMU Continuing and Professional Education to earn industry-respected certificates that will give you an edge in the workforce.

Learn more


Returning to SMU after being called to service

If you were called to active-duty service and left SMU in good academic standing, your file will remain active for one year. While you may register in continuous enrollment at the University, all holds must be cleared prior to enrollment.

If your service period lasted longer than two regular terms (fall, spring), you are required to apply for reactivation. 

When you are ready to return to SMU, please notify the appropriate University departments as soon as possible. This helps to ensure timely processing of enrollment, financial aid, housing and other documents.

Learn more



SMU refrains from providing commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including Tuition Assistance funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at