SMU offers tools to help you determine how credits will transfer, as well as to assist with course selection at your current institution to meet SMU core and major requirements.
- The Equivalency Course Tool helps you create a transfer report to see what courses transfer. If SMU has a corresponding course to one you've taken, the SMU course equivalency is listed. Transferable courses for which there is no exact SMU equivalent are awarded elective credit and given an "XX", "YY" or other generic course number.
- Transfer Pathway Guides for the University Curriculum and specific majors suggest courses and term plans to keep you on track to meet requirements at SMU. Guides for scholarships, financial aid, international students and veterans are also available.
When planning your move to SMU, keep the following transfer policies in mind:
- Official college transcripts are required for ALL college-level work attempted, regardless of transferability.
- University policy requires that of the 122 minimum required term hours for a degree, at least 60 hours must be earned in residence at SMU.
- Within this framework, all students must complete SMU's University Curriculum and at least one major in order to earn an undergraduate degree.
- If you are currently attending a college or university on the quarter system, your course credits will be converted to semester credits. Quarter hours are converted to semester hours by multiplying by two-thirds (0.67000). If you are unsure what type of credit system your institution follows, refer to the transcript legend on your transcript or your institution's catalog or website.