Identity Theft and Non-IRS Filers

Individuals Who Were Victims of IRS Identity Theft

A victim of IRS identity theft will not be eligible to obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. As an alternative, the Tax Return DataBase View transcript as well as a signed and dated statement explaining you’ve been the victim of tax-related identity theft and the IRS is aware of the situation will need to be submitted. Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at 1-800-908-4490 to request a Tax Return Database View transcript. Upon authentication of the tax filer's identity, the IRS will provide, by U.S. Postal Service, a printout of the tax filer's IRS income tax return information. 

Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Income Tax Returns

An individual who filed or will file an income tax return with Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory (e.g. Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Marianas Islands), or with a foreign country, must provide a signed copy of that income tax return(s).