FAQs | Living on Campus

Campus arial shot with skyline

Who is required to live on campus?

All first- and second-year students are required to live on campus in SMU’s Residential Commons. The on-campus requirement is also met by second-year students who are eligible to reside in SMU Greek housing. First-Year transfer students who are under the age of 20 by the first day of classes must also live on campus. Traditional transfer students may request, but are not guaranteed, housing.


How many students live on campus?

Approximately 2,680 first- and second-year undergraduate students live in 11 Residential Commons. About 450 upper division students live in five residence halls.


Students moving in

When do I sign up for housing? 

After you’ve been admitted to SMU and we receive your nonrefundable $800 Orientation, Housing and Matriculation deposit, you will receive an email with directions on how to apply for housing.


When do I get my health form?

The Health History Form is downloaded from the Health Center website and must be completed before you complete orientation.


Roommates in their dorm room

Can I request a roommate?

Yes, as long as you and your friend request each other. Preferred roommate's name and social security number must be provided.


In a dorm room

Do you have co-ed housing?

Yes, all residence halls are co-ed, by wing, floor, or suite, depending on the layout of the hall.


Where do I eat on campus?

Residential dining facilities are located on the lower level of the Umphrey Lee Center and at Arnold Dining Commons. Additional restaurants are located at the Hughes-Trigg Student Center, near McElvaney Commons, Owen Arts Center and Carr Collins Hall in the Law Quad. For more information, visit smudining.com.


Dr Bob Smith Health Center

What kind of facilities are available at the Health Center?

The Dr. Bob Smith Health Center is a professionally staffed outpatient primary care clinic, including pharmacy, lab and x-ray facilities, as well as counseling, testing, and alcohol and drug education centers. For more information, visit the health center website.


What is the alcohol policy on campus?

SMU expects all students to be responsible citizens and to abide by all federal, state, and local laws. More information can be found in the SMU Student Handbook.


Are first-year students allowed to register cars on campus?

First-year students are allowed to have cars on campus, although parking space is limited. The car must be registered with the SMU police. For more information, visit SMU Parking Services.



When may I rush a fraternity or sorority? 

SMU has a deferred rush that starts in January for first-year students. Students interested in pledging a fraternity or sorority must have successfully completed at least 12 semester hours in residence at a college or university during their last semester enrolled in that college or university preceding the pledging period and must have a minimum 2.50 GPA for that previous semester and a cumulative 2.50 GPA at all colleges or universities previously attended at the time of beginning pledgeship/new member education.