B.A. in Film and Media Arts
Interested in the B.A. in Film and Media Arts? No portfolio or Meadows Film application are required. Simply select Film B.A. as your primary academic interest on your application for admission to SMU.
B.F.A. in Film and Media Arts is a Dual Admit Program
In order to pursue a B.F.A. in Film and Media Arts at SMU, you must be admitted to both the Meadows School of the Arts as well as to SMU.
Current SMU students interested in the B.F.A.: See details
- In order to be admitted to the B.F.A. in Film and Media Arts while already attending SMU, you must submit a portfolio of film/video work online through the Meadows Film application. To access the application and submit your portfolio, see item #4 below. Portfolios are reviewed by a faculty committee to determine acceptance into the B.F.A. program. If accepted, a student must complete FILM 1304 and FILM 2354 with a cumulative 2.7 or better GPA prior to declaring the B.F.A. in Film and Media Arts.
- Meadows Film Application Deadlines for Current SMU Students:
Current SMU Students for Spring: November 15
Current SMU Students for Fall: April 1
Admission checklist for First-Year and Transfer applicants
1. Review the Meadows Film application and portfolio deadlines here.
The portfolio is a component of the Meadows Film application. More information about portfolio requirements are in item # 3 on this page.
- Early Action & Early Decision I: Submit Meadows Film application by November 15
- First-year Regular Decision & Early Decision II: Submit Meadows Film application by February 1
- Fall Transfer: Submit Meadows Film application by April 1
- Spring Transfer: Submit Meadows Film application by November 15
2. Determine which SMU application deadline is right for you.
Which is right for me: Early Action, Regular Decision, or Early Decision?
Early Action: Apply to SMU by November 1, submit your Meadows Film application by November 15. The benefit of applying Early Action is that a student will receive their portfolio results and their SMU admission decision by mid-December. If you apply Early Action, but do not submit your portfolio by November 15, your application to SMU will be deferred until Regular Decision. Early Action is not binding.
Regular Decision: Apply to SMU by January 15, submit your Meadows Film application by February 1. Regular Decision applicants typically receive their portfolio results in mid-late February and their SMU admission decision by late March.
Early Decision is a binding application whereby students commit to attend SMU if admitted: Be sure to review the Early Decision FAQ.
- Early Decision I: Apply to SMU by November 1, submit your Meadows Film application by November 15, receive portfolio results and SMU admission decision by mid-December.
- Early Decision II: Apply to SMU by January 15, submit Meadows Film application by February 1, receive portfolio results in mid-late February and SMU admission decision by early March.
Note: SAT and ACT scores are optional for all students applying to SMU for Spring 2021 and the following Fall 2021 admission. Read more about SMU's Undergraduate Temporary Test-Optional Policy.
Information for transfer students:
Fall Transfer: Apply by April 1, submit your Meadows Film application by April 1
Spring Transfer: Apply by November 1, submit your Meadows Film application by November 15
Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied admission requirements. Plan ahead to optimize your possibility of earning a Transfer Scholarship, and check out the Transfer Equivalency Guides.
Information for International Students:
In addition to your film portfolio, please be sure to complete all SMU application checklist items for international students listed here.
All students applying for study in the Division of Film and Media Arts for the B.F.A degree program must submit a digital portfolio within the Meadows Art application. Include 5 works. The portfolio can consist of a variety of media, and should showcase your best work. The portfolio must include at least one film/video sample in which you were a primary creative voice (such as writer or director), and no more than ten minutes of video TOTAL between all of your submissions; edited excerpts of longer pieces are OK, though should be accompanied by an explanation of the full piece and the significance of the excerpts in the details for the submission. Media can include short scripts, visual projects such as short films/videos or photography, film stills or samples of editing, audio animation or motion graphics in which you contributed the bulk of the creative work. We suggest that large video files be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and linked in the portfolio submission. For all works submitted, please indicate (either in the video credits or on your application) your specific role(s) on each piece.
Note that within the Meadows Film application you will be asked to provide additional information about the artwork and answers to the following questions:
- Have you attended any workshop, summer programs, internships, or been involved in any extracurricular groups related to film and media arts?
- Tell us something about one of your works in this portfolio. Why is it important to you? What inspired it? Did you encounter any obstacles while working on this project?
- Describe a particular film, TV show, or other media text that influenced you to pursue studying film/media. What specifically about it affected you? Did it inspire you to learn a particular aspect of creating film/media?
- Why are you interested in the study of film in general and at SMU? Do you have any specific interests you’d like to explore? Is there something specific about our program at Meadows that you feel will aid that exploration?
4. Submit your Meadows Film application and portfolio.
6. Review the Scholarships and Financial Aid process and submit the CSS Profile and the FAFSA, or, the Meadows Waiver Form as soon as possible.
Want to learn more about SMU Meadows School of the Arts?
The Meadows Office of Admission and Financial Aid is available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time.