B.A. in Advertising - Creative Specialization
Temerlin Advertising Institute's Creative Program program prepares students to enter the world of advertising and marketing as art directors and copywriters. The curriculum covers all aspects of content creation for communicating a brand’s identity to consumers. Courses focus on conceptual thinking, approaches to ideation, the creative process, discovery and execution of the big idea, and communicating information in an effective way across a variety of traditional and digital media. Students will learn to create compelling work, present and justify their ideas, and develop a personal aesthetic. The creative specialization courses must be taken in sequence.
See B.A. in Advertising by Semester & Specialization for details.
Advertising majors are required to have a laptop that meets, at a minimum, these specifications.
Additionally, students admitted to the B.A. in Advertising – Creative Specialization will be required to purchase Adobe Creative Cloud (CC). SMU students can purchase Adobe CC at a discounted rate here.
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the major.
See List of Advertising Courses & their Description
|Requirements for the Degree Credit Hours:
- ADV 1300 - Survey of Advertising
Required Advertising Courses:
- ADV 1321 - Introduction to Creativity
- ADV 1331 - Digital Media Landscapes
- ADV 1341 - Marketing Principles of Advertising
- MKTG 3340 - Fundamentals of Marketing
- ADV 1360 - Creative Production
- ADV 2301 - Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 3343 - Consumer Behavior
- ADV 2302 - Advertising, Society, and Ethics
- ADV 3303 - Advertising Media
- ADV 3304 - Advertising Research
- ADV 3305 - Business Communication
- ADV 4106 - Professional Seminars
- ADV 4399 - Advertising Campaigns
|Creative Specialization Courses
- ADV 2322 - Concepting
- ADV 3322 - Portfolio
- ADV 3323 - Introduction to Graphic Design
- Any six additional credit hours of advertising electives (excluding ADV 1300)(Recommended electives for the creative specialization include ADV 4322 - Advanced Portfolio and ADV 4323 - Copywriting.)
|Second Major or Minor (hours vary according to choice)
|Free Electives (hours vary to meet University residency and degree requirements)