During an active threat, remember: Avoid, Deny, Defend.
AVOID the threat
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Have an exit plan.
- Move away from the source of the threat as quickly as possible.
- The more distance and barriers between you and the threat, the better.
DENY if you can’t get away
- Keep distance between you and the source.
- Create barriers to prevent or slow down a threat from getting to you.
- Turn the lights off.
- Remain out of sight and quiet by hiding behind large objects and silence your phone.
DEFEND yourself against the threat
- If you cannot Avoid or Deny, be prepared to defend yourself.
- Be aggressive and committed to your actions.
- Don’t fight fair; fight for your life.
You can help by being alert to dangerous situations on campus. If you observe an individual with any type of weapon on campus, immediately contact the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3333, call 911 or use the SMU Aware Safety App.