SMU Academic Technology Services identifies, develops, implements and supports the University’s dynamic taxonomy of strategic and innovative technology capabilities that supports and continually transforms academic experiences at SMU.
Through our Course Management & eLearning Operations team, our team of embedded Academic Technology Service Directors strategically deployed in each college and school, and our team of shared support specialists, Academic Technology Services works to sustain, improve and inspire technology-based practices and capabilities relating to instruction and scholarship.
- Provide primary support and consultation for Canvas, Zoom, Qualtrics and other eLearning systems and desired integrations
- Assist with basic instructional design and online course-building
- Consult on the integration and application of technology toward realizing instructional and research objectives
- Ensure that desktop and A/V support service needs in each area are well-communicated and quickly fulfilled
- Lead and plan small to large-scale technology projects, initiatives and pilot programs
- Deliver digital media consultation, support, training and production
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and leadership to develop annual, unit-specific technology strategies
- Survey students and faculty annually to identify and report regularly upon academic technology needs
- Work to ensure that SMU IT services are well-aligned with academic objectives and desired outcomes
- Manage and deliver technology solutions which meet faculty and student needs
- Help inspire and demonstrate imaginative and future-forward technology solutions which stimulate teaching and research opportunities
- Partner with faculty and students in managing the rapidity of technology change over time
Academic Technology Services, brought together as part of SMU’s organizational excellence initiatives, is a diverse department made up of experienced and creative individuals who are committed to combining a spirit of innovation and teamwork in order to provide essential, high-impact technology services to the SMU academic community. Led by the Director of Academic Technology Services, our organization includes: embedded Academic Technology Service Directors (ATSD’s), Course Management & eLearning Operations, Shared Technology Specialists (Linux & Research Support and Statistical Software Support), as well as Online Instructional Designers (dedicated to the SMU Center for Teaching Excellence).
Director of Academic Technology