Your Next Steps
Please download the New Student Checklist. This is a checklist of items that you must complete before you start classes this coming semester.
STEP 1: BECOME A MUSTANG!
- Pay your non-refundable $650 Orientation and Matriculation deposit at smu.edu/deposit (you will need your SMU email address and password) to reserve your place at SMU.
- Deposits are due by:
- Fall entry: July 1
- Spring entry: December 1
- Summer entry: May 1
- International students must also obtain an SMU I-20
STEP 2: STUDENTS LIVING ON CAMPUS
- Students who younger than 20 years on August 15 for Fall Entry (January 5 for Spring Entry) are required to submit an additional $100 Housing deposit.
STEP 3: VISIT
- We want to show you what your life as an SMU student will be like! If you have not yet had the opportunity to visit the campus, many options are available, both virtual and in person. Choose the option that is best for you. We can’t wait to connect with you.
STEP 4: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- Financial Aid packages will be sent to early transfer applicants starting in late November for Spring 2021 and early May for Fall 2021. Please review your SMU email for updates from the Financial Aid Office. All admitted students are assigned an SMU financial aid advisor. Click here for more information and to find your advisor.
STEP 5: HEALTH HISTORY
- Before registering for classes, all SMU students must complete and submit the Report of Medical History and Consent of Medical Treatment form. Please click here for details and instructions on what is required. Please note Texas state law requires all students must have received the meningitis immunization within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required.
STEP 6: PARENT INFORMATION
- Please complete the online Parent Information Form before Orientation.
STEP 7: STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING & FINAL COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT(S)
- Transfer students need to submit a Statement of Good Standing Form for each college/university they have previously attended. This document needs to be completed by the Dean of Students or other college official who has access to disciplinary and academic records. Please use a separate form for each institution.
- Once grades have posted for the current semester you are enrolled in (fall, spring, summer), send the final transcript that includes final grades to SMU.
STEP 8: MUSTANG STARTUP AND STAMPEDE
- In order to fully transition into the SMU community, Mustang StartUp is a two-part experience. Students will first complete our Campus Life (Student Experience) Online Experience Modules and Pre-Advising Canvas Course before they meet with their Academic Advisor remotely.
- The second part of orientation is Stampede. Stampede is the extended orientation program including everything from Move-In (if applicable) to Convocation. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet your new classmates as well as current SMU students, staff and faculty. You will also begin learning some of the most treasured SMU traditions! Stampede takes place a few days before classes start in August and January.
- We will send you detailed information and instructions about how to register for Orientation sessions and Stampede in the coming weeks