Your Next Steps
Please download the New Student Checklist. This is a checklist of items that you must complete before you start classes this coming semester.
STEP 1: BECOME A MUSTANG!
- Pay your non-refundable $650 Orientation and Matriculation deposit at smu.edu/deposit (you will need your SMU email address and password) to reserve your place at SMU.
- Deposits are due by:
STEP 2: STUDENTS LIVING ON CAMPUS
- Students who younger than 20 years on August 15 for Fall Entry (January 5 for Spring Entry) are required to submit an additional $100 Housing deposit.
STEP 3: VISIT
- We want to show you what your life as an SMU student will be like! If you have not yet had the opportunity to visit the campus, there are many options available including a Virtual Tour and an Admitted Transfer Student Reception (the date will be available soon). Choose the option that is best for you. We can’t wait to connect with you.
STEP 4: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- Financial Aid packages will be sent to early transfer applicants starting in late November for Spring 2021 and early May for Fall 2021. Please review your SMU email for updates from the Financial Aid Office. All admitted students are assigned an SMU financial aid advisor. Click here for more information and to find your advisor.
STEP 5: HEALTH HISTORY
- Before registering for classes, all SMU students must complete and submit the Report of Medical History and Consent of Medical Treatment form. Please click here for details and instructions on what is required. Please note Texas state law requires all students must have received the meningitis immunization within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required.
STEP 6: PARENT INFORMATION
STEP 7: STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING & FINAL COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT(S)
- Transfer students need to submit a Statement of Good Standing Form for each college/university they have previously attended. This document needs to be completed by the Dean of Students or other college official who has access to disciplinary and academic records. Please use a separate form for each institution.
- Once grades have posted for the current semester you are enrolled in (fall, spring, summer), send the final transcript that includes final grades to SMU.
STEP 8: ORIENTATION AND STAMPEDE
- In order to fully transition into the SMU community, orientation is a two-part experience. Students will first complete our Virtual Orientation Student Experience Modules and Pre-Advising Canvas Course, before they meet with their Academic Advisor remotely.
- The second part of orientation is Stampede. Stampede is the extended orientation program including everything from Move-In (if applicable) to Convocation. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet your new classmates as well as current SMU students, staff and faculty. You will also begin learning some of the most treasured SMU traditions! Stampede takes place a few days before classes start in August.
- We will send you detailed information and instructions about how to register for Orientation sessions and Stampede in the coming weeks
STEP 9: JOIN THE SMU OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION ADMITTED STUDENT NETWORK
- The admitted student network will allow you to join interest area communities moderated by current SMU admission ambassadors. You will also be able to register for and attend virtual events, meet and connect with SMU admission counselors and other SMU staff members and even connect with current SMU students and other incoming students.
- If you have not joined already, please check your email for an invitation to join. If you cannot find this email and would like to join this network, please contact your admission counselor or email firstname.lastname@example.org.