A Special Message from Gerald J. Ford '66, '69, Trustee and convening co-chair of The Second Century Campaign, and R. Gerald Turner, president of SMU
Dear Friends of SMU,
Measured Campaign Impact
To date The Second Century Campaign has:
- Strengthened faculty by adding 34 endowed positions, increasing the total to 96 toward a goal of 100.
- Established innovative academic offerings with 24 new schools, centers, institutes and programs.
- Created hundreds of new endowed and annually funded scholarships to attract and support the high-achieving students.
- Expanded research that contributes to communities, our nation and the world.
- Enhanced the campus environment with new and renovated facilities for academics, athletics and student life.
Bolstered by the success of The Second Century Campaign, and by our desire to finish out important needs in support of academic programs, faculty, scholarships and campus enhancements, the Board of Trustees has boldly voted to raise the campaign goal to $1 billion.
With the inspiring support of alumni, parents and friends, SMU has already surpassed its original financial goal of $750 million, raising $780 million two years ahead of the campaign's end date of December 31, 2015.
Donors to SMU have set records in their commitment to the University. More than 58,159 donors have made one or more gifts to the campaign, 279 have given $100,000 or more and 123 have committed $1 million or more. More than 50 percent of alumni have made one or more gifts, and 24 percent of alumni provided gifts in the last fiscal year alone.
SMU's momentum has accelerated in the past decade, which coincides with the centennial celebration of the University's founding in 1911 and opening in 1915.
By taking this bold action to raise the campaign goal to $1 billion, SMU joins only 34 other U.S. private institutions of higher education that have conducted or are currently conducting campaigns of this size. It also represents a vote of confidence in SMU's future as the University's reputation continues to grow.
Now the time has come to mark another milestone in SMU's tremendous history: the completion of a $1 billion campaign.
The additional funds from the increased campaign goal will have a profound impact on the University and its regional, national and global reputation. The campaign will, quite simply, expand SMU's reach.
- Faculty will teach and inspire students and research answers to emerging societal needs.
- Academic programs will remain cutting edge.
- Scholarship support will allow students from across the country and other nations to study on the Hilltop.
- New and renovated facilities will provide students, faculty and alumni stateof- the-art space to create, innovate and celebrate.
For all these reasons, the ambitious new goal of The Second Century Campaign speaks to SMU's commitment to improve its national reputation and to the confidence we have in the University's unbridled future.
Our joining together as a team to reach this $1 billion goal will leave a historic legacy of leadership and service as we ensure SMU's second century of achievement.
GERALD J. FORD ‘66, ’69
Trustee and Convening Co-chair of
The Second Century Campaign
R. GERALD TURNER