Schedule an Appointment
The IT Help Desk assists students with the installation of SAS, Windows 10, GMETRIX and other applications pertinent to course instruction. Students may utilize our help guides to perform the installation tasks themselves or schedule an appointment with our team of trained experts.
Getting Started and Process Overview
- Schedule an appointment
- Follow the steps detailed in the appointment confirmation email
- Drop off your laptop at the IT Help Desk at your appointment time (located in Fondren Library West)
- Pick up your computer once the installation is complete
Install from Home
Students are able to install software without an appointment, for instructions send an email to email@example.com.
Available Software for Installation
The IT Help Desk will not backup data prior to installing software. Please be sure to have all data backed up prior to your install appointment.
Windows 10 Virtual Machine with Office 2016
Some courses require a Windows enviroment to complete assignments. If you have a Mac, we are able to install Windows 10 virtually in order to allow you to run software compatible with Windows only.
Students can obtain a license key for Microsoft Windows free of charge by simply registering with your active SMU email address at smu.onthehub.com. Once you've obtained a license keys, schedule an installation appointment with the IT Help Desk here.
SAS is available for download and install free of charge on any personal Windows and Linux Machines for academic use under our campus agreement. Mac OS users of SAS Foundation also have access to SAS without installing the software on their local machine. Simply login to apps.smu.edu and you can launch the software in a virtual environment via Citrix Receiver.
For Mac users, we offer a Windows 10 virtual machine, which includes preinstalled SAS. Students can obtain license key for Microsoft Windows free of charge by simply registering with your active SMU email address at smu.onthehub.com. Once you've obtained license key, schedule an installation appointment with the IT Help Desk here.
Installation appointments on a personal computer are available to all active SMU Students, Staff, and Faculty.
GMETRIX is used to practice for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification exam. GMETRIX is only available on Windows machines and is not available for installation on a Mac when practicing for Office 2016 exams. The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification gives students and institutions of higher learning the tools they need to chart their own course, fulfill their ambition, and realize their potential.
Mac users - we offer a virtual machine prebuilt with Windows 10, GMetrix, and Office 2016. Students can obtain a license key for Microsoft Windows free of charge by simply registering with your active SMU email address at smu.onthehub.com.
- Begin by visiting smu.onthehub.com and secure your license key for Windows 10. Note: You do not need to install anything.
- Schedule an installation appointment and request a Windows 10 Virtual Machine. You will need your license key for the installation appointment.
Microsoft Power BI
Microsoft Power BI is also available for install via virtual machine on your Mac or direct install on your up to date Windows 10 machine.
For Mac users, we offer a virtual machine through VirtualBox, which includes Power BI. Students can obtain a copy of Microsoft Windows free of charge by simply registering with your active SMU email address at smu.onthehub.com. Once you've obtained a copy of Microsoft Windows, schedule an installation appointment with the IT Help Desk here.
Prebuilt Virtual Machine Packages
- Windows 10
- Windows 10 with GMETRIX and Office 2016
- Windows 10 with PowerBI
- Windows 10 with SAS
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get a copy of Windows under the University agreement?
- Visit https://smu.onthehub.comto register for an account with your SMU email address
- Click the Sign In link near the top-right corner of the page.
- Click the Register button.
- When prompted to choose how you wish to register, select the option: With an organization-issued email address (e.g. a ".edu" address).
- Follow on-screen instructions and fill out any forms to which you are directed to complete the registration process. When prompted to enter your email address, be sure that the address you provide is active and was issued by SMU.
- Click the embedded link in the registration email that is sent to your SMU email to validate and finalize your registration.
Important! To ensure delivery of the registration email, make sure that firstname.lastname@example.org added to your email white list.
Where can I find my Windows Product Key?
The product key can be found on your Order Details page at https://smu.onthehub.com
To view your product key:
- Sign in to your WebStore (if you are not signed in already).
- Click the arrow beside your username (top-right corner), and then click Your Account/Orders.
- Click the View Details button next to an order to reach the Order Details page. Information about the order is displayed, including any product keys, serial numbers or activation codes that were issued with it.
If you are having trouble locating your product key, contact information for support can be found here.
Am I able to install software on my own?
Yes, for instructions send an email request to email@example.com. An internet connection is required to perform installations along with SMU credentials.