Meadows Dance Application, Admission and Audition
In order to pursue a BFA or a minor in Dance Performance at SMU, applicants must apply and gain admission to both SMU and to the Division of Dance via audition. Audition registration is through the Meadows Dance Application. It is recommended that applicants apply to SMU and to Meadows in the same semester. Registration for the dance auditions is found within the Meadows Dance Application. Read more about the audition and how to access the Meadows Dance Application below.
Early Action versus Early Decision application: Early Decision is a binding agreement to attend SMU if you are accepted to the university, even if you are not also accepted to the Meadows Dance Division. For those who wish to apply by the November 1 “Early” deadline, we recommend that dance applicants select “Early Action” instead of “Early Decision.” By applying Early Action, dance applicants can keep their options open while expressing strong interest in SMU.
Audition Dates, Types and Deadlines for 2021-22
Registration for Dance auditions is found within the online Meadows Dance Application. You’ll submit your Meadows Dance Application, which includes a headshot, dance resume, and short written response to a prompt provided in the application. After your application has been submitted, you will receive an email with a link to your online status page where you can log in and register for your audition or submit your recorded audition. See further below for information on how to access the Meadows Dance Application.
Submit your completed Meadows Dance Application and audition registration at least three days prior to your audition date. Since audition spots fill quickly, we encourage early registration.
- Saturday, October 16, 2021
- Saturday, November 20, 2021
- Saturday, January 22, 2022
Live Zoom audition
- Saturday, February 12, 2022
The Zoom audition follows the same format as the on-campus auditions, but begins at 10 a.m. CT instead of 9 a.m. CT. Your completed Meadows Dance Application and registration for the Feb. 12 live Zoom audition must be received by or before Wednesday, February 9.
In the Meadows Dance Application, applicants will find links to three technique demonstration videos -- one ballet, one modern, and one jazz -- that must be learned and performed in the recorded audition submission, using the same audio as heard in the videos. You’ll first submit your Meadows Dance Application, then upload your recorded audition via your Meadows Dance status page, which will be made available to your after the Meadows Dance Application has been submitted.
Submit your completed Meadows Dance Application and recorded audition (uploaded on the Meadows Dance Application status page) by or before the following dates:
- November 1, 2021 if applying to SMU Early Action or Early Decision I
- January 15, 2022 if applying to SMU Regular Decision or Early Decision II
How to prepare for your live on-campus or Zoom audition
- Female candidates should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights.
- Male candidates should wear a white T-shirt and black tights.
- All candidates should bring both jazz shoes and ballet slippers. (Pointe shoes are required only if they are needed for your solo.)
- Bare feet will be required for the modern portion of the audition.
- All candidates should prepare a solo in case they are asked lasting 90 to 120 seconds in their choice of ballet, modern, or jazz technique, and must provide music on either a cellphone, computer, or USB drive.
- Zoom audition preparation: In addition to the bullet points above, to participate in the virtual SMU Dance audition auditionees must secure a space with at least 300 square feet of danceable floor (preferably a studio), and a stable internet connection for up to 4½ hours (9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. CST), plus, if called back to perform a solo, 2 additional hours (1:30-3:30 p.m. CST).
Agenda for live on-campus and Zoom* auditions
Times are approximate and reflect Central Standard Time Zone:
- 9 a.m. - Welcome and Overview of the Day
- 9:30 a.m. - Warm-up and Ballet Class
- 10:30 a.m. - Break
- 10:45 a.m. - Modern Class
- 11:30 p.m. - Break
- 11:45 p.m. - Jazz Class
- 12:30 p.m. - Break
- 1:15 p.m. - Solo Callback Announcement
- At this point, auditionees will be notified if they will continue to the next round of the audition to perform their solo. If not called back to perform a solo, auditionees dismissed.
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. – Solos
- Auditionees called back to perform their solo will also participate in a quick interview for approximately 5 minutes.
* For live Zoom auditions please note that the Zoom audition begins at 10 a.m. instead of 9 a.m.
For questions and more information about Dance auditions and submissions, email the Dance Division at email@example.com.
Recorded Dance auditions: what to include
The audition video should include:
- Personal introduction (1 minute or less)
- Recreation of all three technique videos (ballet, modern, and jazz) as seen in the videos found the Meadows Dance Application status page. Use the audio from the demonstration videos for your recorded audition. In the ballet component, alternate sides for the barre exercises, beginning on the right side for the first combination, then left on the second, right on the third, and left on the fourth.
- Solo in your technique of choice that best showcases your abilities, 90-120 seconds. (For example, ballet, pointe, modern, or jazz.)
If faculty want to further consider a candidate who has sent in a recorded audition, the applicant will receive an invitation by email to talk with the faculty via Zoom. In addition to questions, the applicant may be asked to execute dance combinations.
The recorded audition is submitted via the online Meadows Dance Application. Information about how to access the Meadows Dance Application is further below.
For questions and more information about recorded Dance auditions and submissions, email the Dance Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Access the Meadows Dance Application portal
The information below helps applicants navigate to the online Meadows Dance Application. Please read, then find the application portal at the end of this section:
- When you click on the “Start Your Meadows Application” button below, it takes you to a page titled “Your Application to SMU.”
- If you have already submitted an SMU application and have previously logged in to your personal status page, click “Log in” under “Returning Users,” using the same username and password.
- If you have not yet applied to SMU and therefore have not received your SMU personal status page login credentials, see “First-time users” and click on “Create an account” to log in.
- Select “Start New Application”
- In “Select application type,” choose 2022, then in the drop-down menu select “Meadows Dance Application”
- Click on “Create application”
M-F 9am-5pm CST