Due to the many changes brought about by Covid-19, this page is updated regularly. Be sure to check back with us for the latest audition information.
Dance is a Dual Admit Program.
In order to pursue a Dance major or minor at SMU, you must apply and be admitted to SMU and you must apply and be admitted to Meadows School of the Arts Division of Dance. Please review the Dance admission checklist below.
1. Review 2020-21 Audition Information
Audition registration is accessible only through the Meadows Dance Application.
The Meadows Dance Application and audition registration should be submitted at least three days prior to the virtual or on-campus audition date.
Three Types of Auditions
Within the Meadows Dance Application you will be asked to select which type of audition you prefer:
- Virtual Audition: Applicants audition live synchronously via Zoom on Oct. 17 and Nov. 21.
- Meadows On-Campus Audition: Applicants audition live, in person on campus on Jan. 23 or Feb. 13.
- Recorded Audition: Those who cannot audition in person or via Zoom on audition days may submit a recorded audition for faculty review. The recording will be submitted as a component of the Meadows Dance Application.
Click here for Recorded Dance Audition Details.
Your audition video should include:
- Personal introduction (1 minute or less)
- Short ballet barre: Include plié, dégagé, rond de jambe, and grand battement (5 minutes or less)
- Pirouette and petit allegro combination (1 minute or less)
- Brief combination either choreographed or improvised in modern and jazz (30-60 seconds)
- Solo in your technique of choice: ballet, modern, or jazz (90-120 seconds)
Please note: Your recorded audition MUST include all three technique areas (ballet, modern and jazz).
Additional materials to submit with your video:
- Dance Statement with Answers to these questions:
- What two words would describe your relationship to Dance?
- What would you bring to the Division of Dance at SMU?
Follow-up interview: If faculty want to further consider a candidate who has sent in a recorded audition, the applicant will receive an invitation by email to talk with the faculty via Zoom. In addition to questions, the applicant may be asked to execute dance combinations.
Dance Audition Dates and Deadlines, 2020-21
Dance audition registration is accessible only through the Meadows Dance Application.
SMU Dance Audition Dates and Types of Auditions:
- Oct. 17, 2020: Virtual, via Zoom*
- Nov. 21, 2020: Virtual, via Zoom*
- Jan. 23, 2021: In Person** on SMU Campus
- Feb. 13, 2021: In Person** on SMU Campus
- Meadows Dance Application and Audition Registration: 3 days prior to audition date
- Recorded Audition, Applying to SMU as Early Action/Early Decision I: Nov. 15
- Recorded Audition, Applying to SMU as Regular Decision/Early Decision II: Feb. 1
- SMU Application, Early Action/Early Decision I : Nov. 1
- SMU Application, Regular Decision/Early Decision II: Jan. 15
- SMU Transfer Application for Fall: May 1, June 1, August 1; see SMU website
- SMU Transfer Application for Spring: Nov. 1
*Virtual Auditions via Zoom: To participate in a virtual SMU Dance audition, auditionees must secure a space with at least 300 square feet of danceable floor (preferably a studio), and a stable internet connection for up to 6 1/2 hours (10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. CST), plus, if called back to perform a solo, 2 additional hours (2:30-4:30 p.m. CST).
**On-Campus Auditions: Due to Covid-19 precautions, the Division of Dance will communicate with audition registrants on December 18 to confirm if the on-campus auditions will occur as scheduled, or if they need to be moved to a virtual platform. If social distancing is in effect during January and February 2021, on-campus auditions will be capped at 25 auditionees for each audition. Though students are welcome to audition for SMU Division of Dance more than one time, students will be able to attend only one on-campus audition due to space restrictions during the 2020-21 auditions.
2. Determine which SMU application deadline is right for you.
We encourage students to apply to SMU, submit their Meadows Dance application, and audition for Meadows within the same semester, and to apply when their application and audition will be most competitive.
Note that Early Action, Regular Decision, and Early Decision applicants are all considered equally for artistic scholarships, since Meadows does not begin awarding artistic scholarships until mid-March, after all auditions have been completed.
Early Action or Early Decision I? Or Regular Decision or Early Decision II?
We encourage students to apply when their application will be most competitive and to audition when they will be most prepared. Early Action, Regular Decision, and Early Decision applicants are considered equally for artistic scholarships, since Meadows does not begin awarding artistic scholarships until mid-March.
Early Action: Apply to SMU by November 1, apply to and audition for Meadows by November 21. The benefit of applying Early Action is that a student will receive their audition results and their SMU admission decision by mid-December. If you apply Early Action, but do not complete your audition by November 21 or submit a recording by November 15, your application to SMU will be deferred until Regular Decision. An Early Action application to SMU is not binding.
Early Decision is a binding application to SMU whereby students commit to attend SMU if admitted even if they are not accepted to the Dance degree program. Be sure to review the Early Decision FAQ.
Early Decision I: Apply to SMU by November 1 and apply to and audition for Meadows by November 21 to receive audition results and SMU admission decision by mid-December.
Early Decision II: Apply to SMU by January 15 and apply to and audition for Meadows by early March to receive audition results and SMU admission decision in mid-March.
Regular Decision: Apply to SMU by January 15 and apply to and audition for Meadows by early March. Regular Decision is appropriate for students who plan to audition in January or February and/or for those students whose applications will be more competitive with the inclusion of their first semester senior year grades. Regular Decision applicants typically receive their Meadows audition results about two weeks after the audition and their SMU admission decision by late March.
Deadlines for Transfer Students:
Spring Transfer: Apply to SMU by November 1; apply to and audition for Meadows by November 21.
Fall Transfer: Apply to SMU by April 1; apply to and audition for Meadows by early March.
Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your SMU transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied admission requirements. Plan ahead to optimize your possibility of earning an SMU Transfer Scholarship, and check out SMU’s Transfer Equivalency Guides.
Information for International Students:
In addition to your dance audition and Meadows Dance application, please be sure to complete all SMU application checklist items for international students listed here.
3. Click here to submit your Meadows Dance Application and register online for your audition.
4. Test Optional Policy for students applying for Spring 2021 or Fall 2021.
Students applying for admission for Spring 2021 or the following Fall 2021 are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores to SMU. Additionally, applicants are considered for academic scholarship whether or not standardized test scores are submitted.
Admission and scholarship decisions are based on many factors including information from applicants’ high school transcript, personal essay, letters of recommendation, and record of personal achievements in addition to SAT or ACT scores. Under this policy, applicants who choose not to submit ACT or SAT scores will be evaluated on the other factors.
For more information, see SMU Undergraduate Temporary Test-Optional Policy FAQs.
How to prepare for your live, virtual audition via Zoom or your in-person audition on campus:
- All candidates should prepare a solo, lasting 90 to 120 seconds, in their choice of ballet, modern, or jazz technique.
- Female candidates should wear a solid color leotard and pink tights.
- Male candidates should wear a white T-shirt and black tights.
- All candidates should bring both jazz shoes and ballet slippers. (Pointe shoes are required only if they are needed for your solo.)
- Bare feet will be required for the modern portion of the audition.
- Candidates must also provide music on either a cellphone, computer, or USB drive for their prepared solos. For in-person auditions, Meadows will provide the cables to the sound system.
Times are approximate and reflect Central Standard Time Zone:
- 10 a.m. - Welcome and Overview of the Day
- 10:30 a.m. - Warm-up and Ballet Class
- 11:30 a.m. - Break
- 11:45 a.m. - Jazz Class
- 12:30 p.m. - Break
- 12:45 p.m. - Modern Class
- 1:30 p.m. - Break
- 2:15 p.m. - Solo Callback Announcement
- 2:30-4:30 p.m. - Solos*
*Solos: Auditionees called back to perform their solo will participate in a quick interview for approximately 5 minutes.
For questions and more information about Dance auditions and submissions, email Heather Guthrie at email@example.com.
7. Review the Scholarship and Financial Aid process and submit the CSS Profile and the FAFSA, or, the Meadows Waiver Form as soon as possible.
Want to learn more about SMU Meadows School of the Arts?
The Meadows Office of Admission and Financial Aid is available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time.