Online Teaching Faculty Training
Purpose of this course
Due to the significant differences between online and face-to-face instruction, SMU's Center for Teaching Excellence has developed this online course to prepare instructors to teach in hybrid or fully online formats. In this course, faculty experience being online students while the facilitator models research-based best practices for online instruction. This training, in addition to assisting faculty in preparing to teach hybrid and online courses, also enables faculty to accommodate for class interruptions and assists in improving face-to-face instruction with web-assisted elements.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency as a student in an online course environment
- Compare and contrast online vs. face-to-face course benefits and challenges
- Create meaningful and measurable learning objectives
- Evaluate an online course based on quality and rigor
- Employ good pedagogical practices related to course design, student assessment, and communication into teaching their own hybrid/online course
This course is a 6-week, fully online course. Attendees will meet synchronously virtually for a few of the activities, but all of the readings and activities will be able to be completed asynchronously within SMU's Learning Management System - Canvas and/or other outside resources. The estimated time for completion of weekly activities for this course is from 2-4 hours. Once a weekly module is unlocked, faculty can read the module's contents and complete most of its activities.
Major Topics Covered
Week 1 – Teaching Online
Week 2 – Understanding the Online Learner
Week 3 – Your Role as an Online Instructor
Week 4 – Online Course Design
Week 5 – Crafting Online Learning Activities
Week 6 – Managing Your Online Course
- Currently, there are no upcoming dates for the Online Teaching Faculty Training. Please check back for updates.
To learn more and join the growing list of faculty who are trained to teach online, email Dr. Addy Tolliver email@example.com.