Tableau is a visual analytics platform empowering the SMU community to make the most of their data.
There are three integrated products in the SMU Tableau platform:
The "primary" tableau application that allows users to import a data source into workbooks and design sophisticated visualizations and analytics on the data.
Tableau Prep Builder
A visual-interface tool to combine, shape, and clean data, as well as automate data prep flows, helping you get to analysis and insights faster.
A centralized repository of workbooks and data sources that can be shared with the SMU community in a secure environment. Tableau Server also allows for limited creation and customization of workbooks using a web interface.
Logging In to Tableau Server
- Click on the Sign In button above or go to DI.smu.edu.
- Sign in using your SMU ID and password
Students are eligible for a free license for Tableau Desktop and Prep Builder. These are available through the library.
Faculty and Researcher Licenses
Faculty and researchers may be eligible for a free license for Tableau Desktop and Prep Builder. These free licenses are administered by Tableau.
Tableau Server Licenses
Tableau Server licenses are available to faculty, staff or student workers through their sponsoring department.
There are three types of Server Licenses:
The Viewer can
- see published views others have created and use most interaction features
- customize existing content and save their customizations
- subscribe to views and download as images or summary data
- CANNOT connect to data, create, edit, or publish content, or set data alerts.
An Explorer can do everything viewers can, plus
- publish workbooks from the web using existing data sources
- browse and interact with published views, and use all interaction features
- edit and save existing workbooks (where permissions are granted)
- CANNOT save new standalone data sources from data connections embedded in workbooks
- CANNOT connect to external data and create new data sources
A Creator can do everything explorers can, plus
- connect to Tableau or external data in the browser
- build and publish flows and data sources
- CAN connect to data from Tableau Prep or Tableau Desktop
- CAN publish (upload/save) and download flows, workbooks and data sources from Tableau Prep or Tableau Desktop
- CAN access Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep Builder through apps.smu.edu.
Current Tableau Server License cost (per year):
Obtaining a Tableau Server License
- Licenses are funded by university departments
- Licenses are assigned by OIT based on instructions from the funding department
- To inquire about license assignment, contact the IT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
Documentation and Training
- OIT Knowledge Base for Tableau
- Tableau Free Training Videos (Tableau)
- Tableau Essential Training with Curt Frye (LinkedIn Learning)
- From Excel to Tableau with Heather Johnson and Madecraft (LinkedIn Learning)
- Tableau for Data Scientists with Matt Francis (LinkedIn Learning)
- Creating Interactive Tableau Dashboards with Matt Francis (LinkedIn Learning)