Constitution Day 2023
The Cary M. Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility and SMU Libraries have teamed up to celebrate Constitution Day this year on September 12-19 with a scavenger hunt at Fondren Library!
Constitution Day, also known as Citizenship Day, commemorates the signing of the U.S. Constitution on September 17, 1787.
How it works:
Step 1: On September 12, go to smu.edu/ethics to find a list of clues and hints related to documents or materials in Fondren Library.
Step 2: Go to Fondren Library and find a physical item that relates to the hint provided.
Step 3: Upon locating the item corresponding to the hint provided, take a picture of the document or material and upload the photo online via the submission link on the Ethics Center Website.
Rules and Guidelines:
- Program duration – the Constitution Day Scavenger hunt will begin on Tuesday, September 12th and conclude at 2:00pm on Tuesday, September 19th. No late submissions will be accepted. You may begin, pause, and submit your answers at any time within the time window.
- Assistance – you are encouraged, and at times may be required to seek assistance from an SMU librarian or staff member to correctly identify a correct answer. You can seek assistance from SMU faculty, staff and students throughout the scavenger hunt. Fondren Library Main Desk is also available to assist while the library is open.
- Clue distribution – all clues will be announced on Tuesday, September 12th through the kickoff event located in the library from 9:00am – 2:00pm. Clues will also be posted online through the Maguire Ethics Center website.
- Answers – Clues may reference individuals throughout history or specific works/publications/documents created by key figures throughout history. Please read clues carefully.
- If the answer is a specific person, any book published by them or their biography may be used as an answer.
- If the answer is a specific work or publication, you must find the exact work.
- Location – all clue answers can be found within Fondren Library.
- Submission/proof of completion – all responses must be documented through our online Qualtrics submission form. To answer the clue, contestants must take a picture of their response. When you answer the clue, please take a picture of the document/text/etc. in person (screen shots or photos from the Internet will NOT count).
- Handle items with care – You are expected to treat all library resources with care. Items should be returned as you found them.
Need some help? Here's some free resources available to SMU students.