Library Research Cards are for the following SMU affiliates:
- Adjunct Faculty
- Postdoctoral/Visiting Scholars
- Kelly Temporary Services employees and other contractors performing research or teaching for an SMU department
Request a Research Card
Library Research Card requests must come directly from a department chair, a dean, or the provost. Requests from administrative assistants or other support staff will be denied. The procedure is the same for renewal requests.
Privileges & Cards
Research Card holders can check out materials, use interlibrary loan services, and access online library subscriptions.
- Sponsored employees with SMU IDs can use their ID card for library access. Library privileges are in effect for the duration of the sponsorship.
- SMU affiliates without SMU IDs will be issued a Library Research Card. The expiration date will be up to one year from the date of issue.
- A Library Research Card may be used only by the person named on the card, and the Libraries may request photo identification.
- Research Card holders are responsible for following all library policies, including the timely return of materials and the payment of fines and fees.
- Cards will not be renewed if the account has an unpaid balance. Sponsoring departments will be charged for any unpaid fines and fees associated with lost library materials.
Alternatives to a Research Card
Researchers visiting the campus informally and not performing specific research for SMU are welcome to use library resources in-house. They are not eligible for a Library Research Card, but they may be eligible to participate in other borrowing programs such as the TexShare Card Program or the OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program. Please contact the Fondren Library Main Desk for more information on these or other options.