Research Card

Research Card holders can check out materials, use Interlibrary Loan services, and access online library subscriptions. 

Library Research Cards are for:

  • SMU Adjunct Faculty
  • Post-Doctoral Fellows employed by SMU
  • Temporary employees and contractors performing research or teaching for an SMU department

We are unable to provide research cards to anyone outside these groups, including informal researchers, Incubator@SMU participants, CAPE students, and area museum and library staff. If you are not eligible for a research card, we have other options:

Request a Research Card

Library Research Card requests must come directly from a department chair, a dean, or the provost. Requests from administrative assistants or other support staff will be denied.  The procedure is the same for renewal requests.

Request Library Research Card

Use Your Research Card 

  • Sponsored employees with SMU IDs can use their ID card for library access. Library privileges are in effect for the duration of the sponsorship.
  • SMU affiliates without SMU IDs will be issued a card. The expiration date will be up to one year from the date of issue.


  • Research Cards may only be used by the person named on the card. We may request photo id.
  • Research Card holders are responsible for the timely return of materials and paying any fines and fees accrued.
  • Sponsoring departments will be charged for any unpaid fines and fees associated with lost library materials.
  • Cards will not be renewed if the account has an unpaid balance.