Internships for Library & Information Science Graduate Students
Reference and Instruction Intern Program
The primary goal of this program is to provide future librarians with the authentic professional opportunities and support to become qualified for academic library jobs and start them on a track of leadership within the profession.
Each intern is given librarian-level opportunities in:
- Research Support - staffing our service desk, chat service, and research consultations
- Classroom Instruction - teaching information literacy to first year writing students
- Project work and committee assignments – in areas like Collection Development, Instructional Design, Web Design and User Experience, Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, and Access, and Event Planning and Outreach
This is a paid internship for 15-20 hours a week. The interns are a part of a diverse team that work and learn together. Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate program in Library Science.
We are currently accepting applications. Submit your resume and cover letter to apply.
For questions, contact Rebecca Graff.
Cataloging and Metadata Internship
Collections & Technical Services at Southern Methodist University Libraries offers a semester-long internship (about 120 hours).
Each intern will gain experience in:
- Fundamentals of cataloging, metadata, and authority work
- Proficiency with tools such as integrated library systems, classification tools, etc.
- Understanding terminologies and key resources used in the field
- Successfully completing a cataloging project
This is an unpaid internship. Internship hours must be completed between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday, on-site at Fondren Library. Applicants must be graduate students in LIS who have completed two cataloging/metadata courses.
Priority deadlines for applications:
Fall semester – June 15
Spring semester – October 15
Summer semester – March 15
To apply: Submit a resume and letter of interest to Rahni Kennedy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.