Criteria for Awards
In order for an award to be presented at the Hilltop Excellence Awards, it must meet the following criteria. These criteria were established in 2010 and took effect in 2011. All awards presented prior to 2011 (including those listed below) are grandfathered in without meeting these criteria:
- Nominations must be open to a broad audience; ideally all faculty, staff and students. At a minimum, two of those groups must be able to nominate.
- The award must be presented to a broad recipient pool; ideally students. If faculty are included, staff should be as well.
- Requests to include new awards presented during the Hilltop Excellence Awards are not being accepted at this time.
We recommend that staff-only awards be presented at the Staff Recognition Ceremony produced by the Staff Association.
Criteria for Nominees
In order for an award nominee to be eligible to be a recipient at the Hilltop Excellence Awards, they must meet the following criteria. These criteria were established in 2012 and took effect in 2013. All award recipients prior to 2013 are grandfathered in without meeting these criteria:
- At the time of nomination and presentation of the award, recipients must currently be enrolled at or employed by SMU. An SMU Retiree may be nominated if they retired in the year of the ceremony.
- Students must graduate from SMU in the calendar year in which the award is given, except in the case of the Freehafer Award and the "M" Award.
- Student award recipients may be undergraduate or graduate students unless specifically proscribed in individual award criteria.