Skype for Business
Professional online meetings built for business.
About Skype for Business
Skype for Business is an integrated communication service. Currently, this service provides Enterprise Instant Messaging, Presence and Desktop Conferencing for faculty and staff. Skype for Business offers the following functionality.
- Secure enterprise IM client to quickly and safely communicate with SMU Faculty and Staff
- Ability to create groups of contacts and IM the entire group
- Ability to transition to a desktop sharing conference or a video conference
- Ability to view presence of contacts to know when they are available for communication
- Ability to view presence and use a built in IM client in webmail.smu.edu
- Ability to save IM conversations to Outlook for future reference
Skype for Business Client
The Skype for Business client is available for all faculty and staff to install on their SMU computer and mobile device.
The latest version of Skype for Business is automatically included in the Office 2016 installer.
Skype for Business is available for download, for office and home, at www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54108
After clicking the link above:
Click on the Download button to download the installer.
Double-click on the installer package and follow the instructions.
You should be able to "Install for all users of this computer."
If you are having an issue, please contact the IT Help Desk at 214-768-HELP.
The server name is sip.smu.edu.
For Android and Windows mobile devices, you must provide your SMU email address and password.
For iOS devices, the sign in format is your SMU email (example: email@example.com) and your account password.
SMU Tutorial Video
What is Skype for Business?
Introducing Skype Meetings
Video Tutorials (LinkedIn Learning)
Skype for Business Essential Training
with Nick Brazzi
Skype for Business includes instant messaging, audio and video conferencing, online meetings, and screen sharing. In this course, Nick Brazzi shows how to take advantage of all the capabilities of this robust collaboration platform. Nick begins by showing how to install Skype for Business and navigate the interface. Next, he explains how to send instant messages, initiate audio and video calls, and share and present files in a meeting. Plus, Nick demonstrates how to set up scheduled meetings and impromptu gatherings, and covers how to use Skype for Business via mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Learning Skype for Business
with Gini von Courter
This course helps you understand and use Skype for Business, the enterprise version of Microsoft's popular conferencing and communication app. First see what plans are available, then see how to best Skype with contacts. Author Gini Courter also explores the instant messaging (IM), audio, and video features, including how to send files, start and join conversations, and add contacts to existing calls and IMs. Plus, learn to schedule meetings and poll participants, use the presenter toolkit, and connect with mobile devices.
Video: Using Skype for Business with Your SMU Phone Number
This video summarizes how to use Skype for Business to make phone calls from your SMU phone number.
- Skype for Business on Windows Quick Start
- Skype for Business on Mac Quick Start
- Skype for Business on iOS/Android Help
- Make and receive calls in Skype for Business
- What's new in Skype for Business?
- Explore Skype for Business
- Video: Introducing Skype for Business
- Basic tasks in Skype for Business
- Add or update your picture in Skype for Business
- Set My Picture options in Skype for Business
- Set Status options in Skype for Business
- Start using Skype for Business for IM and online meetings
- Video: Set up audio and video in Skype for Business