Academic Technology Service Directors
The Academic Technology Service Directors (ATSD) serve as the primary directors and strategic technology partners to each academic unit to ensure that each school’s faculty and student technology needs are served and fulfilled by the Office of Information Technology.
While specializing in the differential teaching and research solutions relevant to each academic area, this team of embedded technology leaders advocate for the academic unit, support the university and work to integrate academic outcomes through SMU's shared technology platforms.
Academic Technology Service Directors:
- Provide primary support and consultation for Canvas, Zoom, Qualtrics and other campus eLearning systems and tools
- Assist with basic instructional design and online course-building
- Consult on the integration and application of technology toward realizing instructional and research objectives
- Support discipline-specific technology solutions
- Lead small to large-scale technology projects, initiatives and pilot programs
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and leadership to develop annual, unit-specific technology strategies
- Survey students and faculty annually to understand and to meet technology needs
- Ensure that SMU IT services are well-aligned with academic objectives and outcomes
- Inspire and innovate with imaginative and future-forward technology solutions which stimulate teaching and research opportunities
James H. Pan
Perkins School of Theology & Dedman School of Law
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.1820
Cox School of Business
email@example.com | 214.768.2074
Jennifer Culver, Ph.D.
Simmons School of Education and Human Development
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.4864
Levi T. Sterling, M.Ed.
The Guildhall at SMU
email@example.com | 972.473.3528
Lyle School of Engineering
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.8649
Michael Robertson, Ph.D.
Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences
email@example.com | 214.768.1148
Meadows School of Arts
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.2548
Toni Nolen, M.L.S.
Head of Systems
email@example.com | 214.768.3666
Academic Technology Operations
Academic Technology Operations serves to manage SMU’s collective stack of course management and eLearning technology systems. Anchored by Canvas, SMU’s instructional technology systems (e.g. Zoom, Turnitin, EvaluationKit, Kaltura, LTI’s, etc.) depend upon steady administration and integration in order to best enable the spectrum of courses and programs they serve. OIT’s Academic Technology Operations group ensures that SMU’s instructional systems function to maximize instructional experiences.
Course Management & eLearning Systems Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.4382
Academic Technology Services Director for SMU Global & Online
email@example.com | 214.768.1029
Course Management & eLearning Solutions Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.1879
Research Technology Services
The Research Technology Services team works closely with SMU’s academic and research communities to scope technology needs and to provide consultation and innovation solutions that support SMU’s goals of ascending research excellence.
Eric Godat, Ph.D.
Data Science Application Developer
email@example.com | 214.768.2000
Guillermo G. Vasquez
Internet of Things (IoT) Developer
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.2859
Li Tan, Ph. D.
HPC Applications Scientist
email@example.com | 214.768.4597
Michael Hahsler, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 214.768.8878
High Performance Computing Team
- Dr. Tom Hagstrom (CSC)
- Allen Hughes (OIT)
- Dr. Rob Kalescky (CSC)
- OIT HPC Consultant (Open Position)
Operations & Consulting
- Amit Kumar
- Richard England