June 5, 2013
DALLAS (SMU) – Highland Park police shot and killed a suspected thief Tuesday at Park Cities Plaza near the SMU campus after he threatened officers with a pistol.
Police were responding to reports of a suspicious person about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday when they located the man and determined he was on a stolen motorcycle. He was taken into custody and placed in a police vehicle but escaped by shooting out a window.
Once out, he threated police with a pistol and was shot. He later was pronounced dead at Parkland Memorial Hospital. His name has not been released.
If you have any information to add regarding this incident, please contact the Highland Park Department of Public Safety at 214-521-5000 or the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3333. Information also may be reported anonymously through the SMU Police Department's Silent Witness Program by calling 214-SMU-2TIP or online at http://www.smu.edu/2tip
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking alone, especially in the evening or at night.
- If you see or hear anything suspicious, call 911 immediately.
- If you are the victim of a crime, call 911 or the SMU Police at 214-768-3333 as soon as possible. Time is of the essence in such situations.
- Do not open your door to strangers, especially at night.
# # #