Undergraduate academic advising plays an integral part in the process of assisting students to achieve their educational goal. Below is a list of websites for the various schools which will assist you with your particular needs.
- University Advising Center (SMU pre-majors)
- Undergraduate Dedman College
- Undergraduate Edwin L. Cox School of Business
- Undergraduate Lyle School of Engineering
- Undergraduate Meadows School of the Arts
- Undergraduate Simmons School of Education and Human Development
Declaring a Major
Students officially declare their major when they have made a firm choice and when they have met the specific program entrance requirements for their intended school and department. For most students, the declaration of the major occurs by the end of the sophomore year. Students are expected to qualify for and to declare a major no later than upon completion of 75 credit hours, including credits by examination and transfer credits, in order to continue their studies at SMU.
There may be majors that require students to declare a primary major prior to declaring a secondary major. Students should consult the departmental pages of the catalog for specific program requirements.
For more information on declaring a major, please visit https://www.smu.edu/Provost/ProvostOffice/SAES/AcademicSupport/UAC/FAQs/Majors-Minors.