About Conditional Admission
Conditional Admission to SMU is a great opportunity for you to become a Mustang and graduate with a prestigious SMU degree. This special offer is one that, in essence, would guarantee you the opportunity to transfer to SMU after completing a year at another college or university. If your goal is to graduate from SMU, this is a way to make such a dream into reality.
As the academic reputation of SMU rises and admission as a first-year student becomes more difficult, we are increasingly unable to admit every talented student who would very much like to be a Mustang. Each year, however, we have space available for qualified transfer students. In fact, over 400 students come to SMU each year to continue their college education.
Conditional admission is offered to a limited number of students who apply for but are not offered first-year admission. The exact conditions are outlined in your decision letter from SMU, but the conditions for assured admission generally include all of the following:
- Complete a minimum of 24 hours of transferable work following high school graduation, at an accredited two- or four-year institution (dual-credit, Advanced Placement and IB credit do not count toward this requirement)
- Enroll as a full-time student at the selected institution, with at least 12 or more hours during regular fall and spring semesters
- Earn at least a 2.700 GPA (4.0 scale) in transferable coursework
- Maintain a satisfactory record of academic and personal behavior
Among the transferable courses must be:
- One English composition course
- One math course (college algebra or higher)
- One natural science course that includes a laboratory component (such as biology, chemistry or geology)
Make the Commitment
If you have been offered conditional admission to SMU, please let us know whether you plan to pursue this option. This allows us to help you as you prepare to become a Mustang. Click here to complete the Conditional Admission Update Form.
You will need to login using the email address and password that you used to check your application status.
Meet Your Counselor
Once you have chosen the institution at which you would like to fulfill the conditional admission requirements, reach out to your SMU Transfer Admission Counselor, who will guide you in the transfer process. (Note: Please select your counselor based on the state of the institution you will be attending and not based on your home or high school state.)
Download the Conditional Admission Checklist
Please take a moment to view and download the Conditional Admission Checklist so you can make sure you are on track to transfer to SMU next fall.
Pathway Guides are helpful tools which allow students to easily match their transfer course work with requirements at SMU. Pathway provides information on admission procedures and requirements, academic programs, and course conversions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions about Conditional Admission.